AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

destination url goes to "page not found"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Even though my search ads go to the proper URL when I test them in Adwords, when I test them outside of Adwords they go to a "Page not found." I have tried deleting and manually re-entering keywords (instead of copying them from previous campaigns); I have tried removing the URLs from the keywords, I have tried the "long" version of the destination URL (www.waubonsee.edu/learning/personalProfessional/commEd/youth/xcelerate/) instead of the vanity version: www.waubonsee.edu/xcelerate.  Nothing is working. Ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: destination url goes to "page not found"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi waubonsee,

These links seem to work. I did a gclid test on the "long", that was successful. The same test with the "vanity" version fails the gclid test.

Use the long version as your destination. Be sure there are no extra characters or spaces at the end of the destination URL--that results in a 404 error, too.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: destination url goes to "page not found"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Do you have destination URL's assigned on the KW level? Try visiting the keywords tab and the columns button > customize columns > Attributes and add the Destination URL column. Now see if your KW have their own destination URL.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'