6.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

demographic targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
My question is about specific age group targeting. Im curious about how adwords determine the age of searchers. My customers are grouped in a specific bracket and targeting them would make a better sense. However, I'm just afraid of possible exclusions of my potential customers by using age targeting (by error or whatever)

Kevin
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: demographic targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Demographic targeting is not a precise science - it is equivalent to readership in print media... if you choose to advertise in Cosmopolitan you will reach a demographic of mostly women aged 18-45... but it doesn't mean that women outside that age group or men of any age might also read the magazine....

Similar thing here - pages are self assessed by the page publishers as targeting demographic groups. Google then uses this information to match ads from advertisers looking to reach these demographic groups.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Some info can be found here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender or age range, based on the sites that were visited.

This translates in an average , a statistic, not something 100% sure.

Also people who put adsense on their website indicate the age interval for the visitors of their site, in order to sell better, to help adsense bring them more money. So it's another subjective input, about the age provided by the owner of the website.

I think you can for certain split the audience only in 2 groups, young and old, anything deeper than that is still Since Fiction.

But don't take my words for granted, i am just a humble forum user.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"I'm just afraid of possible exclusions of my potential customers by using age targeting (by error or whatever) "

The solution is to select the "Unknown" category

Quoting from the help page

You can choose to target or exclude people whose age or gender we haven’t identified by selecting the "Unknown" category.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Demographic targeting is not a precise science - it is equivalent to readership in print media... if you choose to advertise in Cosmopolitan you will reach a demographic of mostly women aged 18-45... but it doesn't mean that women outside that age group or men of any age might also read the magazine....

Similar thing here - pages are self assessed by the page publishers as targeting demographic groups. Google then uses this information to match ads from advertisers looking to reach these demographic groups.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭