conversion optimizer and scheduling

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

It is confusing this :

About conversion optimizer

I read in help files :

http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/152565?hl=en&ref_topic=2807580

Compatibility with other AdWords features, not compatible :

Advanced ad scheduling (basic ad scheduling is supported.)

They do not tell what basic is and what advanced is. So I do not understand.

Then I read this :

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

(under mobile apps, it is a page about conversion optimizer)

Use advanced ad scheduling with bid adjustments for specific days of the week and hours of day

Then I read this :

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Ad-Scheduling/ba-p/50508

Note: Bid Adjustment feature is not available to campaigns set cost per acquisition (CPA) bidding using AdWords Conversion Optimizer.

==> Is this only bid adjustments under scheduling? or is this scheduling?

On a blog I read : day parting is not allowed for campaigns that are using Google's Conversion Optimizer since it chooses when and where to show your ads based on conversion data.

My question is :

If basic ad scheduling is supported and Advanced ad scheduling not

What is basic in this case and what is Advanced?

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Re: conversion optimizer and scheduling

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Elja, as far as I know, nothing has changed in this respect between Legacy and Enhanced Campaigns. You can use "simple" scheduling, i.e. day of the week and/or hour of the day, but you can't use any kind of bid adjustments since they conflict with the Optimisation process.

Bid adjustments for scheduling existed in Legacy campaigns so nothing has changed in this respect.

Jon
AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Elja, interesting, I think you may have identified an error in the help pages.

As I think you understand, you can't use the Conversion Optimiser and any kind of bid adjustment at the same time because they conflict with each other.  

I suspect the reference you've quoted for the mobile apps is wrong.  I'll check and let you know.

Jon

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reaction Jon,

Ok, that is logic, no bid adjustment. Because you have an optimizer for that.

But what about scheduling?

I study for "Search Advanced"

This is a page for the "Search Advanced" exam
http://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/152565?hl=en&ref_topic=2807580
On that page they write :
Advanced ad scheduling (basic ad scheduling is supported)

So I wanted to understand, what is basic and what is advanced
And than I landed on several help text and blogs, with no solution.

But if you are right, than the page for the exam must be wrong? Or not?
What is this basic scheduling, or advanced scheduling?
(If I know on Monday nobody do purchase, is it possible to forbid Monday for optimizer?)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
FWIW - I don't really think this is what you want to hear but you need to be careful when combining resources ...especially with the dates of the articles and the changes involved with Enhanced Campaigns etc...information is currently all over the place as both Legacy and Enhanced systems are still being supported. I think this is a function of Legacy vs Enhanced campaigns. Legacy ad scheduling uses the term 'Basic' (days and times) and 'Advanced' I guess would use bid adjustments (I think..maybe). With EC, there is a completely different interface and to me, this would be 'Advanced' as well.

It's important to remember that the learning center is based on the Exam questions although this may be the most up-to-date resource out of the ones you listed.

If you read the support page (http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en) again, to me, it looks like they're suggesting how to set up your campaigns so you can then employ a CPA strategy once you collect enough data. As you know, You need to build up you conversion history before you can use CPA. Perhaps they could word this better and re-order the items but again, I see these as suggestions on how to set up your campaign for future CPA use. This line is what gave me this thought: "Here are some suggestions to setting up your campaign:"

I can certainly see the confusion here too...it'll be interesting to see if there are errors in the support copy.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Tommy,

(Maybe not important, but I do not understand what you mean by FWIW)

As far as I understand for the exam I have to learn about Legacy AND Enhanced campaigns.

If I understand you, you are talking about this :

legacy bid adjustment.png

And you think they mean "mode Basic" when they say Basic

And thy mean "Bid Adjustment" when they say advanced

=> Then what they are saying is :

In legacy campaigns you can do scheduling combined with Conversion optimizer

Is this true?

And is this true for Enhanced campaigns?

So still I have 2 questions :

1. Can you do scheduling combined with conversion optimizer (legacy campaigns)

2. Can you do scheduling combined with conversion optimizer (enhanced campaigns)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
FWIW - For what it's worth Smiley Happy

I was under the impression that the exams have been updated to use the Enhanced Campaign information moving forward. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Community-lounge/Updated-Google-Certified-Partner-GCP-exams-...

I don't want to try and confirm something that is in question right now...let's see what Jon comes up with, I was just sharing my perspective.

This is what I would follow and I believe this is regarding Enhanced Campaigns.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471188?hl=en

At this time, the following AdWords features aren't compatible with Conversion Optimizer:

Separate Display Network bids. Conversion Optimizer automatically optimizes your bids across the search and Display Networks.
All types of bid adjustments, except mobile device bid adjustments of -100%. Conversion Optimizer automatically accounts for differences in conversion rates across devices, days, times, and locations. Because bid adjustments are already built into the technology that Conversion Optimizer uses, it’s not necessary to set separate adjustments.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you can schedule the CPA with automated rules for pause/resume using condition for"Campaign Name"

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tommy,

I did read all these text.
I did realy read a lot of the help and exam text.
But the do not give me my answer.

Still I have these 2 questions :

2. Can you do scheduling combined with conversion optimizer (enhanced campaigns)

Is it possible for anyone to give an answer for these two questions ?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian B,

That the automated rules can do that in this case is nice to know when you need them in practice.

At the moment with this question I want to limit it to the scheduling settings.

So still I have 2 questions :

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Elja G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Elja, as far as I know, nothing has changed in this respect between Legacy and Enhanced Campaigns. You can use "simple" scheduling, i.e. day of the week and/or hour of the day, but you can't use any kind of bid adjustments since they conflict with the Optimisation process.

Bid adjustments for scheduling existed in Legacy campaigns so nothing has changed in this respect.

Jon