AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

conversion code not working properly.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have installed a conversion code in my site & this conversion is recorded in adwords account but its not showing in GA.I am not able to find the issue. can you please suggest something to correct it?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hema R
September 2015

Re: conversion code not working properly.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If you set up a conversion in AdWords and install the conversion code on your target page, these will report in Adwords - and only in AdWords.

To track the same thing in Analytics, you need to set up a goal in GA which targets the same page.

The goal in GA will record ALL visitors that reach that target page and report a goal completion for each of them. Of course, you can then segment by source and see how your AdWords traffic compares with, say, your organic traffic.

Then - you can import the GA goal as a conversion in AdWords. This will essentially report in AdWords, each time an AdWords visitor triggered the goal completion in GA - and you will be able to see which keyword/ad combination led to the conversion (in the same way as you can see this for the AdWords conversion).

Two things to bear in mind....

1. there is a 48 hour (or so) delay between the goal triggering in GA and this importing as a conversion in AdWords which means that you never seem to see imported GA conversions for "today" and "yesterday" - but they will appear in longer time windows.

2. If you have a GA imported goal and an AdWords conversion basically recording the same thing - i.e. this visitor got to the thank you page - then you can end up with 2 conversions and your cost per conversion is halved... when, in truth, it isn't!

My personal prefernce is to use only the GA goals and import them as conversions - especially the "transactions" goal - which if you have eCommerce tracking set up correctly is automatic (you don't need to configure this is GA - it just becomes available once some traffic has made transactions) as this imports the value of the transactions directly which is very useful.

And so I think Diego is right insofar as you can import GA goals as conversions in AdWords - but you cannot see your AdWords conversions in GA.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Hema R,
Make sure that you have link with adwords account with analytics account.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I might be wrong but... I think AdWords can import conversion tracking data from Google Analytics, but not viceversa? If you have set-up Goals and Transactions in Google Analytics, you can link it and have these data in your AdWords report (plus other metrics such as bounce, visit duration, etc). It works flawlessly.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Diego Valladolid,
No, Adwords conversion data does not import from Google analytics, For example:- If you have website but you don't have analytics account. but you can track you conversion with the help of conversion code.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hema R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
If you set up a conversion in AdWords and install the conversion code on your target page, these will report in Adwords - and only in AdWords.

To track the same thing in Analytics, you need to set up a goal in GA which targets the same page.

The goal in GA will record ALL visitors that reach that target page and report a goal completion for each of them. Of course, you can then segment by source and see how your AdWords traffic compares with, say, your organic traffic.

Then - you can import the GA goal as a conversion in AdWords. This will essentially report in AdWords, each time an AdWords visitor triggered the goal completion in GA - and you will be able to see which keyword/ad combination led to the conversion (in the same way as you can see this for the AdWords conversion).

Two things to bear in mind....

1. there is a 48 hour (or so) delay between the goal triggering in GA and this importing as a conversion in AdWords which means that you never seem to see imported GA conversions for "today" and "yesterday" - but they will appear in longer time windows.

2. If you have a GA imported goal and an AdWords conversion basically recording the same thing - i.e. this visitor got to the thank you page - then you can end up with 2 conversions and your cost per conversion is halved... when, in truth, it isn't!

My personal prefernce is to use only the GA goals and import them as conversions - especially the "transactions" goal - which if you have eCommerce tracking set up correctly is automatic (you don't need to configure this is GA - it just becomes available once some traffic has made transactions) as this imports the value of the transactions directly which is very useful.

And so I think Diego is right insofar as you can import GA goals as conversions in AdWords - but you cannot see your AdWords conversions in GA.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello all,

You all have me confused. If the AdWords and GA accounts are properly linked and auto-tagging is enabled in AdWords, you'll find all the conversion data under Traffic Sources/Advertising/AdWords. If you use manual tagging, you'll find it under Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi @petebardo - now you're confusing me... as I understand things we cannot see AdWords conversions - those set up in AdWords that require a code snippet to be placed on the confirmation page - in Analytics. I've always understood that this was a kind of one way street for AdWords only.

Am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

Ok, I took another look at it. You're right, only Goal completions show up along with conversion value. None of my goals carry a value except for transactions. On the thank you page I record both the eCommerce transaction and the AdWords conversion (using the code). The transactions and conversions both carry the same value. Maybe that's where I got the idea I could track conversions in Analytics.

I told you I was confused!

Pete

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Out of interest - so both of these record in Adwords - so do you get two conversions - one from AdWords and one from the Transactions - for each purcahse?

I know that Google will normaly only count one conversion per visitor - on the one per click setting - but if these are from different "platforms" as such I worry I might be getting 2 conversions (and if these each have a transaction value) then twice the "real" revenue.... which could be misleading as we would also get a cost per conversion which is effectively half the true value.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Steve,

If you have the AdWords conversion code on your eCommerce thank you page (or the final page of a goal) and you also import transactions as a conversion, yes, you will be double reporting your conversions in AdWords. I had this problem for a while until I figured out what was going on. I left the AdWords conversion code in place and deleted my goals as conversions. I haven't used transactions as an imported conversion.

Pete