AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

completely unique combination of keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

If I am using a completely unique combination of keywords in a campaign (i.e. a phrase that nobody else is using so there is no competition) Does this mean I will only ever pay £0.01  per click?

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: completely unique combination of keywords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

No, it doesn't.

It's highly unlikely that you're using a 'completely unique' keyword. It's more likely that whatever your keyword is, the search volume on it is not high enough for the keyword to be included in the advertising database. There are no keywords included in the advertising database for which no competition exists. Smiley Happy  

You're much  more likely to see no traffic at all than you are to "own" all the traffic for £0.01.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Simply: NO;

There is threshold of Ad-rank that your ad must meet to appear.

Google does not disclose the value of this threshold;

Edit: Theresa types faster. Anyway you go the same answer...Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew and welcome to the Community.

No, that's not how AdWords works.  Google wants to show relevant Ads of an acceptable quality that their users will find useful so other factors come into play.  Where the historical performance of searches against a Keyword suggests poor relevance, you'll find the CPC increases, sometimes quite dramatically.

How, may I ask, do you know you have a completely unique combination of Keywords?  One common mistake is to see that no Ads appear for a certain search term then to assume this means there is no competition and that Ad costs will be low.  In fact this situation almost always means that advertising for that keyword/product/service has proved ineffective in the past and that Ads cannot be run cost-effectively.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thanks for the responses 

In answer to your questions, I know nobody else is using these keywords because its a very niche service that we offer and nobody else does it (and also yes, no ads appear if I enter this term too which I thought would suggest that nobody is using it?)

However the Key Words tool tells me that 1,000 people search this term per month and the search term describes exactly what our business does so there should be no issues wiith quality - if people find our site through this ad and need our service then they will buy from us.

So why, If I am the only person appearing in a search with no competiton and my ad matches exactly what the customer is searching, would I have to pay more than 1p?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

It just doesn't work that way.

No ads appearing on a page seldom indicates no one is using the keyword, and less often indicates no other advertisers have used the keyword in the past. Most often it means other advertisers have tried the keyword and met with little or no success.

Google is not really interested in showing your ad for cheap. They are more interested in providing a "good user experience". That means, in part, they do not want to show ads that are not of interest to the user. If no one clicks on the ad, Google will figure no one is interested. If you increase your bid, Google might become interested in giving it another shot.

The days of 1p per click have long gone. We can try to answer this for you all day long, but it won't change the reality. You are going to need to bid more than 1p. How much more? I really couldn't tell you. There are way too many variables involved.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

Thanks again

I dont think I explained myself properly.  I will try using an example (a strange one but it will give an idea)

So if I owned a company that made one product -  just blue sports jumpers for dogs and my keyword phrase was going to be "blue sports jumpers for dogs" If we imagined that there was a demand for dogs sports jumpers but nobody was supplying them yet...

I then use the keyword tool and discover that 1,000 people per month are searching for "blue sports jumpers for dogs"

Then I run a google search and see no other ads appearing for "blue sports jumpers for dogs" so its safe to assume nobody else is running those keywords

So then I run the campagin with those keywords.... Surely people searching that phrase will only come across my advert with no other competition, click on it, then most likely make a purchase because its exactly what they search for so it does provide a good user experience for them?

Google say you only have to pay 1p more that your nearest competition right? so surely I would only have to pay 1p?

Any response appreciated 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again;

We did understand your question. (Not the first time to be  asked - run a search for "no competitors", "no competition"...etc..)

There is a minimum of an "ad-rank  threshold" (a bid multiplied by QS) for your ad to be shown: The bid is known (1p). QS is calculated based on QS parameters. It is most likely, that with 1p, you are not going to meet this minimum threshold.

As Pete said, if you raise the bid; you might meet the minimum, and Google might give  your ad another shot....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Right, so what is "ad-rank threshold" then? and what is QS? And whats the minimum threshold?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again 

For start; read the following Article about QS;

What To Do With Keyword Quality Scores