6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

capitalization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does capitalization matter in my keywords? For example, my product is often referred to as an 'LVDT' - short for linear variable displacement transformer. All of my literature and my web page has it in all caps. So, should is use both 'lvdt' and 'LVDT' in my keywords in case the searcher does not use all caps? Also, would my quality score be better with all caps since my web page uses all caps?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: capitalization

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey bhart,

Capitalization does not help in terms of your keywords list. Google ignores this. However, if Google allows, you can insert the all caps in your Ad text, if this is how the word is supposed to be. I've gotten away with this, however Google may reject your ad if they don't agree as they say not to insert words in all caps. Is it an abbreviation?

Google Capitalization Policy: Ad Text

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi bhart,

Welcome to the community!

My understanding is that capitalization has no bearing on keyword matching to search queries at all...basically they're ignored and will be treated as lowercase.  I also don't think you should include both versions as they will be treated the same.  QS will not be changed either.

The only regulations regarding capitalization I'm aware of are for use in ads.

Here are a couple of references for you regarding keyword lists.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453981

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Lists/ta-p/6204

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bhart
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

What the other responders are saying is that the system doesn't register a difference between uppercase and lowercase when it comes to letters. It thinks of the two as the same.

The low quality score may come from unfamiliarity. Using keywords or abbreviations that the AdWords program isn't "familiar" with usually results in low quality score. Since this abbreviation is clearly important to your advertising, you probably don't have any choice except to suck it up and offer the higher bid prices that the low scores require.

The good news, of course, is that if these keywords and the ads perform well, your quality scores will eventually start coming up!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey bhart,

Capitalization does not help in terms of your keywords list. Google ignores this. However, if Google allows, you can insert the all caps in your Ad text, if this is how the word is supposed to be. I've gotten away with this, however Google may reject your ad if they don't agree as they say not to insert words in all caps. Is it an abbreviation?

Google Capitalization Policy: Ad Text

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi bhart,

Welcome to the community!

My understanding is that capitalization has no bearing on keyword matching to search queries at all...basically they're ignored and will be treated as lowercase.  I also don't think you should include both versions as they will be treated the same.  QS will not be changed either.

The only regulations regarding capitalization I'm aware of are for use in ads.

Here are a couple of references for you regarding keyword lists.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453981

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Lists/ta-p/6204

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, that helps. But my QS is still low. My web landing page has the term 'LVDT' (all caps) multiple times which should give me a good score since the page is obviously relevent. Is Google recognizing that LVDT equals lvdt when it looks at my web page?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bhart
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

What the other responders are saying is that the system doesn't register a difference between uppercase and lowercase when it comes to letters. It thinks of the two as the same.

The low quality score may come from unfamiliarity. Using keywords or abbreviations that the AdWords program isn't "familiar" with usually results in low quality score. Since this abbreviation is clearly important to your advertising, you probably don't have any choice except to suck it up and offer the higher bid prices that the low scores require.

The good news, of course, is that if these keywords and the ads perform well, your quality scores will eventually start coming up!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Bhart,

I think you may be interpreting QS as landing page relevancy. 

Try this, there is a status bubble next to each keyword, click that bubble.  This is called keyword diagnostics.

It should list:

Expected clickthrough rate:
Ad relevance:
Landing page experience:

If your landing page experience is at least average, there will be no negative effect on QS.

QS takes into account many factors but the biggest is CTR. 

You can search this community for Quality Score and find MANY discussions on the topic.

Here are two good posts from a Googler.

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce
Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks to all.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"QS will not be changed either."
I had the same understanding. Many of my keywords has printer name. When I use 'brother hl-3040cn' QS is 7, when I change it to 'brother HL-3040cn' I get QS 10. Why is that?

capitalization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think this is right.

I have added the keywords +Ford +exhaust +repair and +ford +exhaust +repair

The one with the capital F had a much more expensive Est. Top of Page Bid than the lowercase f.

And it doesn't tell me I have duplicate keywords?

At first, I had the capital F keyword in an exhaust repair group, but it did so well I put it in a SKAG on it's own.

But I added the lower case F version, believing it wouldn't make a difference and it turned out that it didn't get half as many clicks/impressions as it did with the capital F?