Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

cant change campaign type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I can't change my Campaign Type. I know I'm in the right spot.

"Choose a campaign type to switch to:
Switching between types may hide or expose some features and reports."

Below this it says "Display Networks Only" with a little down arrow beside it. But all of this is greyed out, and if I click on it nothing happens. What gives?????????

Please help. Thanks,

Ted

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: cant change campaign type

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Ted,

There might be a better option. Can you tell me: Why do you want to change your campaign type?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Because I copied my most effective ads into a new Campaign that was generated by "Display Planner". My ads are "Search Network", and the Campaign is "Display Network". I want to change my Campaign from Display Network to Search Network.

Please help me achieve this. TIA.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Peter,

Change campaign type from display to search & from search to display is not allowed. You can check this link:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?rd=1 check changing campaign types in this link.

If you elaborate on why u wanna change campaign type and what is your objective? We can come up with better solution for you.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Peter,

Adwords doesn’t allow changing campaign type from “Display Network” to “Search Network” You are only allowed to change the campaign from “Search Network only” to “Search & Display Networks” and “Search & Display Networks” to “Search Network only”

Source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2567043?rd=1

I think you want to target your search ads for search network only and for this you have to create a new campaign.

Thanks,
Nouman

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You may want to create the new campaign as a Search campaign and then copy the effective ads you had in your display campaign over to the new campaign once it is set up. 

I would caution that some ad types are not supported on the Search network - they must be TEXT ads only.

Also, the search network responds much more criticaly to your keyword - ad copy connection than the Display network where ads are typically more broad. I have had success moving ads from the search nteowrk to the display network, but not in the opposite direction. I would not reccommend you copy Dispaly ads to a Search campaign for that reason.

To achieve maximum relevancy and efficient account performance, I would write new ads so they are very specififc to each ad group for the Search campaign.