AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

can I use an exact match negative keyword for a same phrase match keyword in an ad group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

I have used a keyword explainer video as a broad match modifier but i dont want google to show ads on the very same keyword [explainer video]. That means I dont want google to show my ad when someone only types explainer video. Can i add the same keyword as an exact match negative keyword  and as a broad match modifier positive keyword (ie as a keyword in the ad group)?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam M
June 2016

Re: can I use an exact match negative keyword for a same phrase match keyword in an ad group?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Liam,

Negative keywords only block the terms you use. You have to include mispellings and variations of the negative keywords if you'd like to ensure you block those search queries as well.

Does that help?

-Tommy

Edit:  Read through the "Keep in mind" section here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Re: can I use an exact match negative keyword for a same phrase match keyword in an ad group?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Liam,

Yes, absolutely. Sometimes I refer to these as embedded negatives. They can be used in a number of ways to help the flow of traffic and also in your case.

You're basically interested in stopping the actual exact seed term [explainer video] from getting any impressions but at the same time, you are interested in gaining impressions from the longer tail search terms that would gain impressions from a less restrictive match type like phrase "explainer video" or modified broad +explainer +video.

Now, a couple things to note:

You'll likely see some odd messaging in the impacted ad groups when testing keywords. When google is testing a keyword, they can't assume all of the potential search queries that come with phrase or broad keywords so they test the actual keyword. In your case, it will say that a negative kw is blocking this keyword from showing etc...It's important to know that indeed this is correct, for the exact term only. The rest of the search queries will still trigger impressions.

Also, you may want to consider adding in some close variants and misspellings in along with your exact negative keywords. The negative -[explainer video] will not block 'explainer videos' from triggering impressions.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello
Thank you so much for your reply.
Could you please explain the very last section regarding close variants
and misspellings?

I am highly thankful for your response

Hope to hear from you soon Smiley Happy

Thanks again and Warm Regards
Liam
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Liam M
June 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Liam,

Negative keywords only block the terms you use. You have to include mispellings and variations of the negative keywords if you'd like to ensure you block those search queries as well.

Does that help?

-Tommy

Edit:  Read through the "Keep in mind" section here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Got it
Thank you Smiley Very Happy