1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

can I scrape our url from other ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've discovered in Analytics that someone is using our url in their destination url, because we're receiving click from Adwords (but not our own - we stopped using it 6 years ago!) but we can't identify who the advertiser is because the keywords in our Analytics is 'not set'.

Is there a tool to find out/scrape who is using our url in their ad? Adwords Ireland can't help, and because we have a free Analytics account, I can't email/speak to anyone.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: can I scrape our url from other ads?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi eComm e,

This is a really tricky one. I don't think there is any Google or AdWords Tool that will enable you to figure out who is using your website in their ad. Even if the AdWords Support Team were able to figure it out, I'm not too sure if they could provide you with contact information as they are bound by legal and privacy laws. 

If you can find the ad, definitely take a screenshot of the search results page. In addition to this, right click on the headline of the ad and click 'copy link address'.  You can paste the link address into an email to AdWords Support who might be able to look into it in more detail for you. I'm not too sure how much detail they can provide, but it's worth a shot.

On the plus side, it's some free advertising for your website!

I hope this helps! 

Re: can I scrape our url from other ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rachel, thanks for the advice, and yes, a tricky one because we can't find any ads in any search results because we don't know which keywords will trigger them Smiley Sad

Maybe one day we'll find out!