4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

broad targeting without keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to advertise a broad reach, unlimited by keywords.  Is that possible?  I just want ads to flood a geographical area, and they really aren't specific to any search topic.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: broad targeting without keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kim,

On the search network, you will have to specify some targeting via keywords. That's how it works, people search, those search queries are matched to your keywords and your ads can be served.

Can you elaborate slightly on your goals here? What are you advertising that isn't specific to any search topic?

I can understand wanting to flood a geographic area but there must be some ways you can refine or limit your targeting to save yourself some money and effort.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kim

On the search network you need to include keywords, but if you're using a Display campaign you can target  text and image ads simply to interests, regions, topics or particular third party websites. You don't need to use keywords there.

Does that help?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Kim,
Tommy & Louisa are correct - via the Search Network you do need to target some Keywords and if you want Reach, do a Google Display Campaign.
I'll also add - targeting users w/o Keywords is what Google does not want. Google wants to provide relevant Ads that match the intent of the searcher. Being able to serve Ads regardless of any specific topic will lead to a poor CTR for those Ads, low Quality Scores for those Ads, probably high CPCs for those Ads, and a poor user experience for Google searchers.
Again, if Awareness is your goal, a GDN Campaign is a much better, and more efficient, option. Via the GDN you'll be able to target a specific geographical area, and you'll be able to serve Ads based on the content of webpages, interests of the user, demographics of the user, or just by selecting certain websites. All things being equal, typically you'll receive significantly more Impressions via a Display Campaign.
Google Display Network - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117120?hl=en
Google Display Network Targeting Settings - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Brian ,

About "via the Search Network you do need to target some Keywords "

-  What about using Dynamic Search Ads without setting up any keyword targeting.

I use this feature even with sites with 30 pages and it gets enough traffic. It usually should be used with sites with thousands of pages of products.

-  Also Shopping campaigns do not use keyword targeting for search ( only negative keywords can be used) , but do use words from the Titles and descriptions of products from the feed to match what people search. Details here : link

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Adrian,
Yes, I guess see your point about PLAs & Dynamic Search Ads, but even then the Ads that are served are relevant to the products/content of the website. Per Kim's original question: "I just want ads to flood a geographical area, and they really aren't specific to any search topic."  Although I could be wrong, based on her original question, I don't think PLAs or Dynamic Search Ads would be a solution for what she's looking to do.