AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

broad modified

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I got a very basic question: If I set a keyword like this for example: +discount +shoe, my ad will be shown only if both terms were included in the users' research, am I right?

Moreover, can someone explain me which is the difference between +discount +shoe and +discount shoes?

Cheers

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefano D
September 2015

Re: broad modified

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

The + sign is the modifier that requires a word to be included in a search string. Using broad match without the modifier allows the search engine to serve both your keyword and other searches it thinks are similar.

+discount +shoes can be triggered only for search queries that include both words.

+discount shoes can be triggered for search queries that include the word discount and either the word shoes or something like shoes. Boots, sandals, pumps, booties, flipflops, etc. are all eligible to be served (along with other searches).

Make sense?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefano D
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

The + sign is the modifier that requires a word to be included in a search string. Using broad match without the modifier allows the search engine to serve both your keyword and other searches it thinks are similar.

+discount +shoes can be triggered only for search queries that include both words.

+discount shoes can be triggered for search queries that include the word discount and either the word shoes or something like shoes. Boots, sandals, pumps, booties, flipflops, etc. are all eligible to be served (along with other searches).

Make sense?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much!!!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm sorry, I got another question... if i'm using as keywords +discount +shoes and +discount + shoe, am i bidding against myself, since the modi broad covers misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings?

broad modified keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a doubt, if i'm using these 2 keywords: +discount +shoes and +discount + shoe

am i bidding against myself, since the modi broad covers misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings?

Re: broad modified keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stefano,

Welcome to the community. Yes, BMM also include plurals.

"Close variants include misspellings, singular/plural forms, abbreviations and acronyms, and stemmings (like “floor” and “flooring”). However, synonyms (like “quick” and “fast”) and related searches (like “flowers” and “tulips”) are not considered close variants."

I suggest you use keyword planner to get more keyword ideas. It is never a good idea to repeat keywords.

I hope this helps.
Kapil M

Re: broad modified keywords

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
@Stefano;
Please do not open a new discussion on the same topic. Your question was answered here:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/broad-modified/m-p/340994
I merged the discussions.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’