Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

avg cpc

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

how can i get best cpc estimates for a particular keyword / keywords. I understand that there is a traffic estimator tool, however, what figure i should starting trying with max cpc (what would be the best max cpc figure to start trying with... because avg cpc and other stats change with the max cpc bid), we need to have some current cpc estimate for the keyword so that we can start trying out different max cpc options. how do we get the best avg cpc for  the keyword / keywords at a particular point of time

thanks,

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JoMo (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: avg cpc

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Skevin118,

If you really not having idea on current cpc. You can do one thing. you can start your campaign with automatic bidding & run it for few weeks. Once you get an idea of bids from automatic bidding method. Switch over to manual bidding. 

I would highly switch over to manual bidding because I Prefer to go with Manual bidding so that I can optimize keywords bids in order to get the "Avg. Position" that I want. If you want to maximize YOUR profit, use manual bidding. Manual bidding requires manual work but it's actually profitable.

Automatic bidding gives an Idea of Keywords bid trends & you can initally start with Automatic bidding. Once you get Avg. CPC idea you can switch back to Manual bidding. But ultimately It is better to switch to manual bidding.

Edit: Google says:

If you're not sure which keywords or placements are most profitable, or if you don't have time to devote to managing manual bids, automatic bidding is probably a better fit for you.

Automatic bidding isn't a good choice for you if your advertising goals include maintaining a specific ad position or cost per conversion.

More on Automatic Bidding

More on Manual Bidding

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have existing adwords account already,you can rely on the estimated first page bid & estimated top page bid on the Keywords Tab since this is more relevant to your current standing.

Here is the step by step guide to add these columns:

Go to Campaigns Tab

Go To Keywords Sub Tab

Below the keywords sub tab, you will see there columns bar

Click on Columns Bar dropdown arrow and select customize columns

Select Attributes on the metrics

Add the columns of estimated first page bid and estimated top page bid

Click on Apply

Estimated First page bid (If you want to compete on the right hand position of the first page of GOOGLE)   Estimated Top Page Bid (If you want to compete on the top three positions or the highlighted portions)

REMINDER: The estimate is not a guarantee --however this will help you assess if you want to outbid your competitors or not!

More Power,
Loraine

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Skevin,

In addition of above explaination, there are 3 ways to decide what CPC bid amount to set:

How do you know what CPC to set? You can figure this out based on what you know about your business and the value of a sale.  For example, if you sell US$5,000 diamond rings, one new customer is probably worth more than if you sell US$0.99 packs of gum. Or you can use the tools Google has created to help you learn more:

>>Bid Simulator runs "what-if" scenarios like, "How many more impressions would I get if I raised my bid by $0.10?"

>>Traffic Estimator shows you how often some keywords get searched, and gives you cost estimates at a glance.

>>First-page bid estimates helps you see how much you may need to bid to put your ad on the first page of Google search results.

For more detail you can visit this link: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2464960

Just a thought of Mine!

Thanks
Anchal

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JoMo (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Skevin118,

If you really not having idea on current cpc. You can do one thing. you can start your campaign with automatic bidding & run it for few weeks. Once you get an idea of bids from automatic bidding method. Switch over to manual bidding. 

I would highly switch over to manual bidding because I Prefer to go with Manual bidding so that I can optimize keywords bids in order to get the "Avg. Position" that I want. If you want to maximize YOUR profit, use manual bidding. Manual bidding requires manual work but it's actually profitable.

Automatic bidding gives an Idea of Keywords bid trends & you can initally start with Automatic bidding. Once you get Avg. CPC idea you can switch back to Manual bidding. But ultimately It is better to switch to manual bidding.

Edit: Google says:

If you're not sure which keywords or placements are most profitable, or if you don't have time to devote to managing manual bids, automatic bidding is probably a better fit for you.

Automatic bidding isn't a good choice for you if your advertising goals include maintaining a specific ad position or cost per conversion.

More on Automatic Bidding

More on Manual Bidding

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Skevin118,

You have some great answers here. I only want to add one thing:

Never bid more than you are willing to pay for a click. I'd look at numbers assuming 1% click-through and 10% conversion of those visitors. You might do better, you might do worse, but it's a good starting point.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
hi, thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆