AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

average CPC for keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is there any way to find out what is the range of CPC paid by other advertisers for a certain set of keywords?

Need to know if I am over paying or further optimisation is urgently required Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack S
September 2015

Re: average CPC for keyword

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

@Jack S wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way to find out what is the range of CPC paid by other advertisers for a certain set of keywords?

Need to know if I am over paying or further optimisation is urgently required Smiley Very Happy

Thanks!

Jack

"Need to know if I am over paying"

Understanding the fundamentals of how the platform works,  the amount you pay is based upon the amount the competition is willing to pay in your targeted area, plus the added "discount" or "premium" you will be charged for your Bid based upon your Quality Score an other faactors.

In some of my accounts with 10/10 9/10 8/10 I bid 5X the normal CPC's because I know I will only have to pay at least 1 cent over the Next highest bid.  Now this strategy is not for the faint of heart, nor for someone that doesn't data dive daily and work every angle possible, but it gives you the indication of what the competition is paying or willing to pay.  

For example.  I may bid  $25 on a term where my ave CPC is only 5.00   this average CPC will fluctuate and I can see some days of ave CPC of 10 and some day s of ave CPC of 2.50.

So am I paying to much? or am I determining the  CPC by taking the top positions (Ad Rank), getting the CTR and QS, applying budgets, and controlling the market for that term?   

( No matter what methodology one uses, the ROAS and ROI should be the driving force of all Decisions) 

We have put this video out a lot lately, but in your case I think this may give you some valuable insight.  Very short but spot on by Hal Varian:

Insights on the AdWords Auction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Some additional Data on Bidding

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464960?hl=en

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Jack S,
In short: no

when you send your keywords to account, these keywords will get some statistics like first page bid est. or top page bid est..I'm pretty sure you can find these attributes in your online Adwords account + you can get these statistics when you select Get Recent Changes and then Get More Data(Slower) in your Adwords Editor. These are some numbers you can work with.

There are no precise numbers about competion's CPC as far as I know. You can only start chipping away your max cpc to get to the point where you barely hanging on the first spot and then you might tell yourself that that's something the other advertisers pay to be at the top of the page. But that's also not accurate, because not only CPC is driving Ad to the top.

Best regards,

Alex

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi jack S,

There are a number of competitor keyword analysis tools out there. Most of them are subscription based in order to get the details require. So if you are really wanting to know how much your competitors are paying then you can use one of those.

That being said, you can usually get an idea of how much you are paying based on your QS, assuming QS falls on a normal distribution, with 5 being the current mean.

Hope this helps

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

To add onto the informative advices shared above, I would like you to suggest and try Auction Insights Report available inside the AdWords interface only.

Although it won't provide you specific details you are looking for, but will definitely give you a kind of benchmark which you can follow and work accordingly and see what all other advertisers have been doing in terms of metrics like Impression Share, Overlap rate etc... More details about the report are here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You can look at KeywordSpy.com -- It will give you limited data for free. I use it to spot check and see ballparks. Remember not to take the numbers as "gospel". I'm not sure how they actually collect their data. It's a great tool for benchmarking though.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack S
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

@Jack S wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Jack

"Need to know if I am over paying"

Understanding the fundamentals of how the platform works,  the amount you pay is based upon the amount the competition is willing to pay in your targeted area, plus the added "discount" or "premium" you will be charged for your Bid based upon your Quality Score an other faactors.

In some of my accounts with 10/10 9/10 8/10 I bid 5X the normal CPC's because I know I will only have to pay at least 1 cent over the Next highest bid.  Now this strategy is not for the faint of heart, nor for someone that doesn't data dive daily and work every angle possible, but it gives you the indication of what the competition is paying or willing to pay.  

For example.  I may bid  $25 on a term where my ave CPC is only 5.00   this average CPC will fluctuate and I can see some days of ave CPC of 10 and some day s of ave CPC of 2.50.

So am I paying to much? or am I determining the  CPC by taking the top positions (Ad Rank), getting the CTR and QS, applying budgets, and controlling the market for that term?   

( No matter what methodology one uses, the ROAS and ROI should be the driving force of all Decisions) 

We have put this video out a lot lately, but in your case I think this may give you some valuable insight.  Very short but spot on by Hal Varian:

Insights on the AdWords Auction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Some additional Data on Bidding

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464960?hl=en