AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

asterisk before keyword? some form of wildcard?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone help me understand the function of an asterisk that precedes a keyword eg. *machu picchu tour

Is it some form of wildcard keyword matching?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John Oliver C
September 2015

Re: asterisk before keyword? some form of wildcard?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,
Where are you seeing this?
There is a Keyword Matching Option called Broad Match Modifer that uses + symbols, but there is no Keyword Matching option that uses the * symbol.  

In fact, you should see an error message if you try to use a * in your bidded on Keywords as that is an invalid AdWords symbol.

If you're seeing this inside of a Google Analytics report or Advanced Search, the * symbol can be used as an Advanced Filter.  When  used in a Google Analytics Advanced Filter, the * symbol should "match zero or more of the previous item."

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
The system ignores question marks hyphens, asterisks etc....
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John,
Where are you seeing this?
There is a Keyword Matching Option called Broad Match Modifer that uses + symbols, but there is no Keyword Matching option that uses the * symbol.  

In fact, you should see an error message if you try to use a * in your bidded on Keywords as that is an invalid AdWords symbol.

If you're seeing this inside of a Google Analytics report or Advanced Search, the * symbol can be used as an Advanced Filter.  When  used in a Google Analytics Advanced Filter, the * symbol should "match zero or more of the previous item."

Hope this helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
The system ignores question marks hyphens, asterisks etc....
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
solution found. thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

what was the solution, John?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I am seeing this in my search terms list and trying to figure out what it means too.  

It shows up as just an X or an X ** followed by the keyword.

This isn't the modifiers when I'm adding keywords, it's showing up in the list of search terms people actually used. 

I can't tell if it's a wildcard, or if it's blurring out profanity?   Trying to figure out if i need to add them to my negative keywords list. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.