star_border

[adwords editor]: Error importing CSV: Ambiguous Row Type

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I'm using adword editor (10.6.0).

I try to upload my campaign through a cvs file (unicode formated).

Unfortunately, i got this message "ambiguous row type".

I did check the sample file (which works good), compare, check the caracter but i don't understand where the problem could come from. (the file is available at this link: http://www.distrijazz.com/adword/last_file.txt )

When i don't import the keyword, headline, description line 1, description line 2, sitelink text, display url, and destination url, the process doesn't show off this error.

Very strange bug.

It happens the same importing from file or directly pasting the text.

If someone can help me, i will be very grateful

Warmest regards.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Distrijazz S
September 2015

Re: [adwords editor]: Error importing CSV: Ambiguous Row Type

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Except for campaigns and ad groups (for which you need at least a name on each row), there must be exactly one entity per row. You have a location, a keyword and a text ad all combined on the same row - it doesn't work this way.

Place a location on its own row, leaving columns related to keywords and text ads blank. Then have a separate row just with keyword fields (plus campaign and ad group names, so that Editor knows where this keyword should go), and all others blank. And a yet third row with text ad fields.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Distrijazz S
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Except for campaigns and ad groups (for which you need at least a name on each row), there must be exactly one entity per row. You have a location, a keyword and a text ad all combined on the same row - it doesn't work this way.

Place a location on its own row, leaving columns related to keywords and text ads blank. Then have a separate row just with keyword fields (plus campaign and ad group names, so that Editor knows where this keyword should go), and all others blank. And a yet third row with text ad fields.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Igor:

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

As you told me, each entity had to be specified in their own row. Watching carefully the sample data from google, it appeared clearly :-o

After I met the same problem with the keyword’s row.
Even if you specify the MAX CPC at the adgroup level, you have to specify again for each keyword.
Once done, my csv was processed without any errors.

Thanks again

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You don't have to provide a Max CPC for each keyword if you don't want to.

Have a dedicated row for the ad group - just campaign name, ad group name and Max CPC (leave Keyword field, and in fact most other fields, blank). This Max CPC will apply to the ad group. Then on keyword rows you may leave Max CPC blank or specify 0 (in which case keywords will inherit the bid from the parent ad group), or else specify an explicit bid (then this keyword will have its own bid, possibly different from that of the parent ad group).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there a fast way to mass edit to do this? I have 150+, it's gonna be a pain to do manually. Seems I would need to make an extra row between each row of data, move all the ad related content down one row and copy the campaign & ad group names down one row.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
When you run CSV Import from File tool, there's a dialog that lets you adjust column headings. You can suppress individual columns by choosing "Not Importing" in the corresponding drop-down.

So what you can do is, import the file twice. First time, carefully suppress all columns related to ads, and second time, all columns related to keywords.

Or similarly, make two copies of the file and use your spreadsheet editing application to physically remove keyword-related columns from one, and ad-related columns from the other. Then import those files, one by one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So I've tried uploading the ads separately, but I can't seem to get the ads to match up with the right ad groups - or it will just create a whole separate campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually I think it worked this time! Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
A couple other questions however, 1) if you want to import a second add, does it need to be on a different row as well? Or imported separately? and 2) is there a maximum amount of rows of data you are able to import at once?

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
1) Yes, each ad on its own row.

2) There's likely some practical limit - at some point, the program will run out or memory or something - but I have yet to see it reached. Editor is known to successfully import millions of rows.