3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

adword location radius doesn't work

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

adword set location radius for ad. say xxx,yyy 10mi. Now test from location xxx,yyy. Nothing

What ever you set in Ad Preview Tool it doesn't work, ad not shown "Your ads are set to show only to users in the locations you've chosen." I know it's showing as I have impressions.

No matter how big the area it won't work. Only using whole cities does Ad Preview Tool work.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adword location radius doesn't work

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;
Geo targeting is not perfect; Not in all regions you can target up to a city level; and even if you can; users on desktops - outside the targeting region - might see your ad due to ISPs' technical issues of assigning IPs. (Mobile is more accurate, since users  usually activate GPS)
What country are you targeting?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I am in Sydney Australia. The only places I can add by name is Sydney the whole city. I'm a local business that can only service 20km max from my location.

If I'm on wifi or data on my mobile, google maps pinpoints me pretty well. I don't think it's that.

I made a xxx,yyy 20km, and used Ad Preview Tool with Ad Preview Tool and it's still not working.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You can use the search function to find almost any town in Australia - although you might have to add the state since so many of the names are also common the the UK and US - once you've used the search function and set the radius then you simply have to click Add... you should then see it on the map.

The radius targeting is not as cool as the old polygon function where you could draw the area you wanted to target on the map - and I often find that it helps to either shift your center to include you prime areas and exclude others (especially true of "suburbs where the radius takes in the main city) or use a series of smaller circles to build a kind of kids drawing of a caterpillar crawling across the map!

To get these options you will need to select the advanced search link in the geo targeting settings.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
As a quick addition, I know from my experience with Australian accounts that a lot of the broadband networks use hubs in the major cities - and this does mean that a number of people in more remote areas may well be classed as living in the cities by Google who rely, in part, on the IP address.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I will ask @purefuzz ; one of our Top Contributors based in Australia to comment;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

I find the ad preview tool doesn't work when you get down to that tight a radius targeting.

Is your issue with the preview tool or are you having bigger targeting problems?

If I create suburb specific campaigns in Sydney for example I'll usually create 2 separate campaigns using different strategies.

One targets my standard radius targeting and covers the general keywords

The second is a geo term campaign. I'd set the radius much bigger for this campaign BUT every single keyword in this campaign will have a location making sure I get the right traffic.

Aussie location targeting isn't great and I find that approach can help pick up the slack here.

I hope this can help you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks purefuzz, it drives me crazy that i cant use the preview tool because my radius is too small. I argued for an hour about it with a google consultant one day ( i too have xxx, yyy 10mi and set the preview to same xxx,yyy and get the same message as greenbear521. The consultants best suggestioon was to drilldown to dimensions>hour of the day and set daterange to today. Completely un helpful...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
same issue

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Just to echo @purefuzz 's comments, I too have a number of clients in Australia and follow much the same strategy that he is outlining. What I do find, and this is something to be very aware of, os that the tighter the targeting the less able Google is to locate desktops - but they can still locate mobiles (not 100%, but at least more than they can desktops).

So what happens is, the tighter you get the more disproportionate numbers of mobiles you see in the traffic.