Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

advanced location options

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We are a outdoor activity centre in the midlands supplying archery, clay pigoen shooting etc. I want to attract customers who live within the birmingham area or people who are searching for birmingham from the rest of the country. I can do this fine with loaction targeting but I am having trouble filtering out searches made from Birmingham that are for other locations.

For Example my adds are showing for:

Search term "clay pigeon shooting ground cardiff".

I could really do with filtering out these irrelevent search terms and I'm at a loss how to do this; any advice is greatfully received.
Kind regards

Joe

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: advanced location options

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

When you identify words that you do not want to trigger your ads, you can add those words as negatives to your campaign(s). That will block those searches in the future.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theresa
Thanks for you're response. The words I'm trying to filter out are potentially every location in the UK that's not in my selected geographical location so this would be an big task.
If I exclude the rest of the country then people searching for Birmingham from outside Birmingham do not show. I need another option in the exclude options which would be "people searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location" they are the people I want to exclude not the people in the excluded location.
Is the negative keyword route the only way?
Thanks
Joe

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Joe,

Adding negative keywords are not only solutions. You have found the good option to exclude the traffic from outside area. I also suggest you to read the below article for more clarification.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/AdWords-Targeting-Receiving-Clicks-from-ou...

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

The language is always so confusing. Smiley Happy

What are your current advanced location settings, and what sort of information can you get out of the geographic reports?

When you're viewing your search terms reports, make sure you enable the KW column - If a really broad form of a single KW is causing most of the unwanted impressions, try refining the match type and see if that helps.

When it comes to negatives, if you don't have anything to do with cardiff, maybe exclude cardiff as a negative phrase match term. IF that is a location that keeps showing up in volume in the search terms and geographic reports. IF NOT, then yes be careful about exclusions, especially if you are way under your budget or impression goals right now.

Ad text is another "filter" you can always use. Perhaps make certain you cite your location in the adtext. "Serving Birmingham Since...", etc. Even if you still get some unwanted impressions, perhaps you can cut back on some of the irrelevant clicks, and costs.

Tom

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Joe G,

As TomeHaleJr. suggested I would keep my adcopy message which clearly states "Birmingham" as I don't want users who are looking for services from other place click my ad. Still many audience do click ads even when they don't wanna take services in your area. For such users you can add negatives as already suggested.

Please share some examples of the keywords you are using? And Match type? or you can tell us from which keywords & match type this query triggered.

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe,

If you have set "Birmingham" as location by default it will target - people in Birmingham + People search for Birmingham, You dont need to sent any advanced setting for this. After you start receiving clicks you can visit - Dimensions Tab -> User Locations - to view from where you received clicks.

When you place keywords make sure you use phrase match & exact match keywords if search vol. is high . If search vol is very less use - broad modifier keywords but strictly use negative keywords.

Thanks.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe G,

I have thought of the following strategy, regarding your question from message 3 "Is the negative keyword route the only way?".

---------------

We know that the setting of excluding "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your excluded location" can have 2 consequences

a) The exclusion of visitors located in the physical locations indicated by the list of cities or regions which you select and

b) The exclusion of visitors from your Included Geo Targeting, if their search terms include location names from the exclusion list.

Short example :

Let's say you create a campaign with the setting :

Targeting : People in your targeted location

and 

Excluding : People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your excluded location

The location you geo target, to restrict physical located visitors is : 

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom - city ( estimated reach 1.4 milion )

The location you exclude is : London, England, United Kingdom - TV region with an estimated reach of 59 milion as seen below 

large-area-London.png

Now, the conseqence is that people located in the city Birmingham , using a search term such as "your_service from London" will not see your Ad , if you use the phrase match keyword "yourservice from" because the search term included a location name which is excluded.

This has nothing to do with physical location exclusion, your visitor is from the physically targeted area.

The exclusion is because of the city name from the search term.

Now because this large area has multiple inner locations such as my highlighted "Uxbridge" , you do not need to add "uxbridge" as a negative keyword, because you have already excluded a large area which contains this city name.

So I would say : yes there is another route besides negative keywords, that is to create 2 separate campaigns. 

In one campaign you choose as targeting "People in your targeted location" Birmingham and as exclusion 

"People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your excluded location" and select all other major areas from UK, which in turn contain smaller city or village names, which will be excluded from search terms if people from Birmingham search for your service in other locations.

In the other campaign you exclude Birmingham , but target all the other needed locations from UK and in the keywords you use your location name and the word Birmingham inside keywords.

If any of the readers of this post has made a similar setup and works, please offer feedback. Thanks

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I am a bit late to the party here. ...

@Joe; you are targeting the Midlands which is defined as a county or a TV region in the Adwords list of locations in the UK.

So, why not  to target just the region? ("People in searching for....")

West Midlands West Midlands,England,United Kingdom   GB County
Midlands Midlands,England,United Kingdom   GB TV Region
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’