AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

ads words search term

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question here

I have reach a Quality score of 10/10 in both exact match and broad match.

Event :

a Searcher goolge for keywords (Red Car)

My ads words

My bid for broad match (car) bid Constance :$10 QS Constance 10/10

My bid for broad Exact Match  (Red car) Bid Constance :$10 QS Constance 10/10

can I know in and event above how goolge ads words choose which to appeal in a perfect scenario without other advertiser influence?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arthur T
August 2016

Re: ads words search term

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Arthur T,

I would say that it is hard to predict the perfect scenario since many factors collide to get your ad to show based on your keywords. And since AdWords is an auction-based system, those other advertiser's influence is absolutely present. And, of course, consumer actions vary and matter, too. 

In general, broad match keywords are going to bring more clicks but most-likely less conversions or ideally-sought traffic since it is broad traffic. Your exact match keywords are going to bring you higher-quality traffic and more ideal traffic.

With that said... your ads, keywords, bid, landing page and past account performance will be weighed and the more each of those keywords are shown in the auction, the more AdWords will have data to decide how to utilize them best for you.

You should review your search term report and Analytics and watch your ads to keywords to see which are triggering and which are not. Please take a look at this Google Help File and dig in more.  

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arthur T
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Arthur T,

I would say that it is hard to predict the perfect scenario since many factors collide to get your ad to show based on your keywords. And since AdWords is an auction-based system, those other advertiser's influence is absolutely present. And, of course, consumer actions vary and matter, too. 

In general, broad match keywords are going to bring more clicks but most-likely less conversions or ideally-sought traffic since it is broad traffic. Your exact match keywords are going to bring you higher-quality traffic and more ideal traffic.

With that said... your ads, keywords, bid, landing page and past account performance will be weighed and the more each of those keywords are shown in the auction, the more AdWords will have data to decide how to utilize them best for you.

You should review your search term report and Analytics and watch your ads to keywords to see which are triggering and which are not. Please take a look at this Google Help File and dig in more.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Arthur,

Adwords calculates your QS based on exact match. So in this case your broad match (car) will have QS 10/10 for the search term "car" and not for "red car".
This means that Exact match type keyword [red car] probably will have a better chance.

Hope this answered your question.

Best

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Arthur,

In addition to great suggestions above, I would recommend adding cross adgroup negative keywords to stop competition between keywords. It will help maintaining good QS and lesser CPC in long run. Also Here is the article which explains how similar terms matching keyword:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Great info, @Neha Gupta.

To expand on what Kveder added... 

Quality score is based on the precise match of query, not the exact match. And these tie into your ads, keywords, bid, landing page and past account performance. Then, we have to factor in the relevance of the keyword and ad matched to the actual search, which leads us to consider CTR (click through ratio). Everything that is being calculated by AdWords is being crunched for the best CTR... and that leads us back to all the variables and what is actually being searched for. Reviewing the search term report and digging further into Analytics will yield answers, as will performance over the nest several days. 

Further, it is best to run both match types (or more than one) to optimize your account. 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

For Quality score we had a great post in past where Googler Tanmay Arora shed light on what takes in to calculating QS. recommend reading it here:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Scor...

hope that helps!

Thanks

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Arthur,

I just want to add here that the QS you see in the UI is based on the exact match. That's not necessarily the case in placing your ad. QS is calculated each time it is used or displayed. In most cases, if a broad match keyword and a phrase or exact match are eligible for an impression, all other things being equal, the system would show the more restrictive match type keyword. This is most reliable when all keywords are in the same ad group. If you're keywords are in different ad groups, you may need to employ other methods to make sure the more restrictive match type are selected. You can do this either by entering the more restrictive match types as negative keywords in the less restrictive ad groups. Or, you can bid higher for the more restrictive keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you for replying!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for suggestion I am very clear now!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for replying!!