Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

adgroups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

As i have recently opened my online store. I want to run campaign at brand level for example -Adidas

For campaign Adidas 

Adgroups 

Adidas sports shoes

Adidas Apparels

Adidas Accesories

etc....

For Adgroup Adidas sport shoe

Kewords

Adidas Tennis shoes

Adidas Tennis shoes online

Ad 1 - for above two keywords

Tennis Shoes Online - XYZ.com

Adwww.XYZ.com/Tennis/Free-Shipping‎ 

Buy Branded Tennis Shoes online. Order now & Pay on Delivery!

Myntra has 2,28,692 followers on Google+

Adidas running shoes

Adidas running shoes online

So i have two questions Taking above case as an example.

Q1- is my approch correct about assighing adgroups.

Q2- can there be one ad for multiple keyword like in above example  i have used two keywords adidas tennis shoe and adidas tennis shoe online but used only one ad for both keywords.

PLS HELP.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author prateek p
September 2015

Re: adgroups

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Prateek,

I think you are on the right track (pun intended) with your ads

You can have one ad with multiple keywords. I recomend having more than one in an ad, but make sure each is higly relevent to the ad.

Hope this helps

Andrew

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Prateek,

Ads in an AdGroup are not matched up with keywords for relevancy or any other reason. The ads rotate according the the campaign settings. Any keyword in an AdGroup can trigger any ad in the same ad group. That's just how the system works.

That means a query for "Adidas running shoes" could trigger your ad for tennis shoes. Just split them into separate ad groups so the right ad will show for the keyword. This will improve your CTR and should also improve your quality score as the ad will be more relevant to the user.

Yes, making them BMM will only trigger if all 3 words are included in the query. As broad match, any of the words in the phrase can trigger your ad. That means a query of "tennis bracelets" can trigger your ad, but you don't sell tennis bracelets, so your ad won't get a click, lowering your CTR which, in turn, lowers your QS. At the very least you should BMM tennis and shoe (Adidas +running + shoes). It's also possible that a query of "running for office" could trigger your ad.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Prateek,

I think you are on the right track (pun intended) with your ads

You can have one ad with multiple keywords. I recomend having more than one in an ad, but make sure each is higly relevent to the ad.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the help Andrew.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Prateek,

I would agree you are on the right track, but your work is not yet done. Notice you have an AdGroup for "Adidas sports shoe", then you have keywords for Tennis shoes and a display URL for tennis.

Then you have two keywords for running shoes in the same AdGroup with a display URL for tennis. You might consider splitting up the sports shoe group into smaller AdGroups by type of shoe and write your ad copy specifically to that type of shoe, and adjust your display URL accordingly.

The other advice I would give you on this is to use BMM instead of broad match, and also add phrase and exact match keywords as is appropriate. When you use broad match, your ad can trigger from any of the individual words with in the phrase. Ex., your keyword Adidas Tennis shoes could trigger form a search query of "tennis bracelet". As BMM (+Adidas +Tennis +shoes) your ad will only trigger if all three words (in any order or context), or variations of the words are included in the query.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Petebardo,

Thanks very much for your help. But i would like to understand your point littile more. I have two questions

Q 1- are you saying that instead of making adgroup at shoe level i should go one level down and make it at "type of shoe" level for example
adgroup 1
adidas running shoe
adgroup 2
adidas tennis shoe

and then make ads for keywords for particular adgroup.
If yes then why does it help?

Q-2)Is it wrong practice for having two or more diffirent url's in one adgroup?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Prateek,

That's exactly what I am suggesting. Yes, you can have 2 or more different URL's in an AdGroup, as long as they are in the same domain. But when you have multiple ads in a group, any one of them can be shown with any keyword. Your keywords for "tennis shoes" could show your ad for "running shoes". As it appears, Your keywords for "running shoes" will show your ad for tennis shoes. That makes the ad not relevant to the user and will lead to a low QS on the running shoes keywords.

Place the running shoes keywords in a running shoes AdGroup and write the ad copy specifically for running shoes, and you can put "running" in the display URL, too. This will make your ad more relevant to the user, which means a better CTR and QS for you. If this ad goes to a page specifically for running shoes, you should also get a better conversion rate.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
ok i understood your point .But what i am doing in first example is i am making diffirent ads for diffirent keywords for example-
for
Adidas Tennis shoes
Adidas Tennis shoes online
i have defined ad as

Tennis Shoes Online - XYZ.com
Adwww.XYZ.com/Tennis/Free-Shipping‎
Buy Branded Tennis Shoes online. Order now & Pay on Delivery

Now for second set of keywords
Adidas running shoes
Adidas running shoes online

I will define ad as
Running Shoes Online - XYZ.com
Adwww.XYZ.com/Running/Free-Shipping‎
Buy Branded Running Shoes online. Order now & Pay on Delivery

Making both of them as BMM (+Adidas +Tennis +shoes) your ad will only trigger if all three words (in any order or context), or variations of the words are included in the query.

so how you are saying that if person searches for tennis shoes it will show the result of running shoes also.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Prateek,

Ads in an AdGroup are not matched up with keywords for relevancy or any other reason. The ads rotate according the the campaign settings. Any keyword in an AdGroup can trigger any ad in the same ad group. That's just how the system works.

That means a query for "Adidas running shoes" could trigger your ad for tennis shoes. Just split them into separate ad groups so the right ad will show for the keyword. This will improve your CTR and should also improve your quality score as the ad will be more relevant to the user.

Yes, making them BMM will only trigger if all 3 words are included in the query. As broad match, any of the words in the phrase can trigger your ad. That means a query of "tennis bracelets" can trigger your ad, but you don't sell tennis bracelets, so your ad won't get a click, lowering your CTR which, in turn, lowers your QS. At the very least you should BMM tennis and shoe (Adidas +running + shoes). It's also possible that a query of "running for office" could trigger your ad.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Petebardo.