AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

active Adgroup and keywords in deleted campaigns ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have modified the structure of the campaigns : the old campaigns were deleted without deleting the Adgroups and Keywords....does it have an impact on new campaigns?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: active Adgroup and keywords in deleted campaigns ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ramon,

Not sure what you are looking for, as the answer is either Yes or No depending on your worry.

Yes:
They will effect new campaigns in terms of account history

No:
They will not interfere with your new campaigns in terms of being active and competing, if the campaign is paused then everything in it is paused by proxy if you will.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramon l
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks KathleenG!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ramon,

Not sure what you are looking for, as the answer is either Yes or No depending on your worry.

Yes:
They will effect new campaigns in terms of account history

No:
They will not interfere with your new campaigns in terms of being active and competing, if the campaign is paused then everything in it is paused by proxy if you will.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

Thanks for your reply. The concern is difficult to describe.
I have the feeling that our new campaigns are not performing as good as they should (in terms of impressions, clicks...). Actually their structure is even better as the old ones (including sitelinks/call extensions/call out extensions) but we still under our goal ...
As the old keywords were not deleted but only the campaigns (that was automatically done by the IT dept)
I'm just wondering if there is not a "kind of competition" between all these keywords even if it is not directly visible because the deleted keywords cannot display any datas ...hope that I can describe my problem good enough !! ;-)

Thanks again!!
Ramon

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ramon,

I do understand your concern, but I can tell you with confidence that your worry is unfounded. The old keywords are not active and there is no competition.

What you are seeing is simply the effects of a restructure. Your account will (the majority of the time) have a performance knock after a restructure. One of the main reasons is related to QS. Your new keywords still have to establish their own QS. If your previous account was below average then this will effect your new structure slightly negatively until it has had time to settle and establish its own QS. If your previous structure was performing really well then it will have a slight positive effect, but that effect will still be less than previous performance.

If you are confident on the restructure (as I am sure you should be, as it sounds like it was done after a greater understanding of the platform) then you just need to give the account time to establish itself.

My suggestion would be to just keep an eye on your search query report. The restructure may have missed a few holes that the old structure did not have. You want to make sure that your negative lists is extensive and limiting your wasted spend as well as the users search queries are matching to the right keywords and thus seeing the right ads.

Give it some time, there is no need to worry.

Good Luck

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

@Clynton M I couldn't have said it better myself!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ramon l
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks KathleenG!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton and Kathleen ...
I will go deeper into the Keywords enhancement process...we review search terms regularly to detect and implement negative keywords, but we could probably do better for our pool of keywords

Great support from you thanks again!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could be of service! Good Luck!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ramon
even the long standing campaigns that are running for few years take a hit when you make changes. Even a change of bidding method can rock you up big time as I discovered in a campaign when I changed the bidding method from Auto to manual, the cpc went shooting through the rough up by 400%. So just chill out, you have better days ahead!