Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

account simplification: close variant matching

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ,
I would like to understand better how close variants work and whether this opportunity can be used to simplify the accounts structure:

My questions are the following:

1) We see that keywords like "nike shoes" can be triggered by mispellings like "nik shoes" or singular/ plural variants like "nike shoe" The question is: do we lose traffic if we book only one version instead of all variants? 
Conversely, does the kw quality score increases if it is not booked in all variants?

2) Is it meaningful to book all broad modifier permutations such as "+nike +shoes" vs "+shoes +nike" ?

3) Should the conjunctions be booked in broad or broad modifier "+nike +shoes in +paris"  vs "+nike +shoes +in +paris"

4) I also noticed that keywords can be triggered by alternative spellings of the word: for example "barcelona fc" is triggered by "barcelona football club". Is this true also the other way around? In other words, does (as search term) "barcelona football club" triggers also "barcellona fc" (as keyword) ?

In general I would like to know if a simplification of our account would payoff in terms of more concentrated kw statistics (which could increase quality score) and in terms of lighter account management without penalizing in term of reduced traffic.

Thanks,
Luca
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luca F
September 2015

Re: account simplification: close variant matching

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Luca,

Negatives do not follow the close variant rule in exact match. So if you add a negative on exact match to your campaign only that exact keyword will be negated, not its close variations.

Your second point pretty much gets it.

The only thing to consider is complexity versus time. AS long as you are always able to keep that in mind, you should be fine. Oh and of course Always be testing, that should be your mantra!

Glad I could help!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Luca;

Assuming I understood your question correctly;
Since Google now includes "close variants" for exact match and phrase match as mandatory, and you cannot opt out, I think the question becomes redundant;
In a sense, Google narrowed the differences among  match types  (with the exception of the "classic" broad match)  only to the structure of words (within the keyword).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks

I think this does not really address any of my questions (four points).

Let's make a really concrete example, does it make sense to book both
"nike shoes" and "nike shoe" ?

and assuming I have already both versions.
If now I delete one of them, would the quality score of the remaining one increase (the remaining will get all traffic) ?

Thanks
Luca

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This option is NOT available anymore. Once you include one variant, Google will automatically "add" other variants (if matched to the search query)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
MosheTLV, does advertiser have the option to opt out or that is already final?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Luca,

With regards to what MosheTLV was saying, close variants for exact match are going to be mandatory opt in for all advertisers in September. That being said, I will try and answer each of your points and assume that you are not referring to this change but rather talking of key terms in general.

1) a) No you do not lose traffic by only including one variant, your one variant will trigger for all close variant matches.

1 b) QS will only come into play with regards to ad copy synergy. If a plural is trigerred but your ad states singular then you may have a lower CTR, I say may here as it is all theoretical and the only way to know in each case would be through testing. QS will not be boosted by sending all traffic to one variation.

2) The + modifier is used on broad match terms and thus are not restricted to phrase match limitations. Word order is irrelevant (except in QS calcualtions as only exact matches to your KW are considered in this calcualtion)

3) Modified (+) conjunctions are unnecessary

4) With certain well known abbreviations, they will be triggered both ways, provided they are in the correct context. So they will need to be qualified, in your case with "Barcelona" before it is assumed that FC stands for football club.

In general it will pay off, but again this is different for every account, you need to understand your account to make this call. It may be the case that SKAG's are the way for you to go, and including multiple variations with embedded negatives is far better for your account in terms of ROI. At the end of the day you need to decide how much value are you willing to lose to simplicity of management and be happy with that choice.

Hope this helps

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton, thanks for the great answer!
I have another two related questions:

1) does close match follows the same rules for negative keywords: e.g. does -[nike shoe] (negative exact singular) protect the adgroup also from search queries as "nike shoes" (plural)?  If yes, does this transfer also to BROAD and PHRASE negatives?

2) So, to my understanding,  the benefit of removing the kws variants is:
- a reduced complexity for managing the accounts
while the benefit of having SKAGs with multiple kws variants is  

- (hiphotetically) a boost in quality score due to better matching between kws text and ad text.

Is there anything else to consider?

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luca F
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Luca,

Negatives do not follow the close variant rule in exact match. So if you add a negative on exact match to your campaign only that exact keyword will be negated, not its close variations.

Your second point pretty much gets it.

The only thing to consider is complexity versus time. AS long as you are always able to keep that in mind, you should be fine. Oh and of course Always be testing, that should be your mantra!

Glad I could help!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Andy; 

Simple answer : nope.

Here is the official announcement;

http://adwords.blogspot.co.il/2014/08/close-variant-matching-for-all-exact.html

Andy H wrote:
MosheTLV, does advertiser have the option to opt out or that is already final?