3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

a sudden spike in conversion data and it's been non-stop since

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We mainly track for purchase conversions but after a recent change in our website, we're seeing this huge spike in a conversion called Others. Average daily pops used to be around 50 for this before but now it's about a 1000 per hour. This is messing up our report structure permanently. Our developers tried to dig up corresponding conversion scripts but apparently there're none. What else could explain it? Could we make a request for the script Adwords maintains for this conversion?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: a sudden spike in conversion data and it's been non-stop since

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

My understanding is that it was you who asked Google to generate a code for that particular conversion type and it was also you who copy/pasted it into your webpage's HTML. Likewise, it was you who categorized the conversion type as *Other*. Hence what *Other* means depends only on your former choices.

You can see the code if you first click the conversion name then the Code tab. (Path as above.)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mimicoctopus,

Following the path Tools and Analysis/Conversions you are able to choose a category to describe the action the user will take to complete a conversion. For example, a conversion in which a user buys your product could go in the Purchase/Sale category or perhaps the Other category. This categorization is up to you. If you hover your mouse over the current category name a drop down will become visible for you to edit categories.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lakatos,

Thank you for your reply but this is not what I had in mind. We just want to understand what this 'other' traffic means. It's not what we wanna track but it's got webpages from our domain all over the place.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

My understanding is that it was you who asked Google to generate a code for that particular conversion type and it was also you who copy/pasted it into your webpage's HTML. Likewise, it was you who categorized the conversion type as *Other*. Hence what *Other* means depends only on your former choices.

You can see the code if you first click the conversion name then the Code tab. (Path as above.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I didn't but may be somebody before me did it but we can't seem to get hold of it. Now let me ask you this: I understand that for a unique visitor, Adwords doesn't register multiple counts for an ad-click for 30 days; is that correct?

and, what if some script on our domain doesn't have a label set on it, could it lead to this spike in the Other/default category?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

>> for a unique visitor, Adwords doesn't register multiple counts for an ad-click for 30 days; is that correct? <<

No, it isn't.

>> if some script on our domain doesn't have a label set on it, could it lead to this spike in the Other/default category? <<

Yep, that may perhaps default to that. I've never seen it happen though.