AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Zip code targeting include contained cities?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a client who serves the low population towns outside of a major DMA city. In setting up (expanding coverage) of his ad targeting area the adwords platform when using the custom/polygon tool shows predefined custom areas based on zip code. For now we have selected target just on the zip code maps and NOT included targeting of a specific city/town (redundant targeting), This worked for us as far as coverage area but i have a concern:

That target areas inside the campaign settings shows as:     12345, Florida, United States (postal code)

Contained within that zip code is town:  Gibberville

Location options is set as: People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location

SO: If a person outside of that zip code searches for:   AC REPAIR GIBBERVILLE

Does the adwords system know that GIBBERVILLE is located wthin that zip code and therefore the ad should trigger?

Thanks for any feedback.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Zip code targeting include contained cities?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ARCLite-Studio;

If I understood your question correctly - The answer is: YES.

You are targeting both by a geographic location, and by search intent. Meaning, that you target by the physical location of the user, and by search terms he uses when doing a search on Google.

Read more, in a new wiki on targeting, just published: "An Introduction to AdWords Targeting".

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

As far as i understand from your question the ad should show for them and i would appreciate to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello ARCLite-Studio;

If I understood your question correctly - The answer is: YES.

You are targeting both by a geographic location, and by search intent. Meaning, that you target by the physical location of the user, and by search terms he uses when doing a search on Google.

Read more, in a new wiki on targeting, just published: "An Introduction to AdWords Targeting".

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for the replies,

I want to give you some follow-up after speaking with Adwords Customer service. I agree that the answer to my question should have been yes, but in fact it turned out to be NO about 80 to 85% of the time. Now, this may be a bit misleading because the problem appears to be in the Google ad preview diagnostic tool. In the ad preview/diagnostic tool i was setting my location to one of the cities within the targeted region and conducting the test search. The ad's did not trigger. After much frustration and calling support we went into a NORMAL google search and changed my location (on left side) of google search results to one of the cities in the target zone. (This is because I actually fall outside of the target area).

Only then did the ads trigger, both in a actual search result as well as the preview tool. Support was in agreement with me, the tool is somewhat broken and they will look to try and fix the problem, it seems that in spite of telling the ad preview tool to treat me as if i was in location X - my actual IP location was still being considered, thus since google saw conflicting information on my location it gave preference to my actual IP location - thus no ad trigger since i was outside the area.

In any case, the point of setting your location in the ad preview tool was to simulate a person searching as if they were in that location. As me and support agreed, the work around we used helps, but is a bad work around because it will generate "Impressions" since it's a live search and not through the preview tool.

Now briefly back to the orgininal issue: We found 2 cities/towns which are within the radius covered that would not trigger ad's, instead google attempted to display NATIONAL ad results and not localized ad's - strangely enough, the ADWORDS system did not recognize those town names or locations - but, google maps DOES - thus we learned that the database of towns/locations the adwords system uses is not the same or has different information than the database that google maps uses for location identification.

All in all we seem to have gotten it to work for now, but im hoping they will resolve the preview tool / location/maps issue.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Nice find, ARCLite-Studios! Thanks for the information.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Zip code location targeting

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again ARCLite-Studios;

Zip code targeting is not perfect. you may find places with IP assigned (on AdWords) outside the zip code area, while physically within the area or vice versa. This is due to technical limitations.

If possible, I would try to target an area a bit larger, or just be aware that your ad might (sometimes) be shown to users outside the region, or users within the region might not see the ad.

This is the reason targeting by intent is so important. It is solely depended on user's search intent, - not on a user's physical location.

-Moshe