4.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Zero Placements On Targeted Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. I want to advertise on one specific site, the fanfiction site "fimfiction.net". It runs only image ads, in two sizes. I don't care on what page within that site my ad appears.

I created an ad using keyword targeting, trying to limit the ad to specific URLs. I've gotten 3,733 impressions... but every one of them is from the text-only ad I was forced to create when I set up my account. (I guess the ad is really running via Google search results, and not on that site.) Zero image ad impressions. So that didn't work.

I then created a new campaign using the "Display Network only" setting. I named that specific site, and a few similar ones like a fan wiki. But on the Display Network->Placements tab, I see 746 impressions, of which every single one is on that wiki site. Zero for the above fanfiction site. There are no keywords associated with this ad because again, I don't care what specific page the user is on.

What's going on? I want to put my ad on that site and don't much care about any other site for this ad. As far as I can tell, my ad group includes the right sizes for the ads that site shows. I'm using a 55-cent ad bid and would be surprised if the other ads running there are bidding higher, but I'll try higher (70 cents) to see what happens. Am I still missing some necessary feature to say "Put this image on this site"?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It sounds like you set this up correctly the 2nd time.  If it's a popular site, it might require a higher bid.  I would start with a VERY high bid on that one site (maybe even $2) and see what happens.  Then, slowly work your bid down over a few days.  

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I totally agree with Shanee. Bid higher and find out how much it costs to advertise there. You will be competing with the current ads - if their CTR is better, their click costs will be lower. So make sure your ads inspire clicks.

Re: Zero Placements On Targeted Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So far not even a ridiculous bid of $1.50 gets me a single placement ever on the one site that I particularly want to advertise on. I'll try $2.00 as an experiment, even though I make about $2.70 if I actually sell a book that way, and then I suppose I'll have to quit using this ad system if the bids are really that high.

Other ads I've seen on that site are for Publix groceries, some small-time dating site, and an obscure computer game -- none of which are particularly related to the site itself -- so it's not like I'm competing with ads for Bentleys and fine wine. I still wonder if the problem is something other than the bid amount.

Re: Zero Placements On Targeted Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Amazingly, I still get zero placements on my chosen sites even with a bid of $2.00 a click, and even with some placements on other sites I'm less interested in, and even after matching my ad size to the ads on those desired sites.