AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Young startup needs help in order to have some return of investment.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, we're a young company who is having a lot of trouble with his online business. We invested in our website and have none or almost no return of investment. we've tried some adwords some time ago, but it didn't give any results. Can someone please help us? What are we doing wrong? I think our website looks nice and we do propose very good products to our custumers. Thank you a lot in advance. Our website: www.richie-kitesurf.com

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Young startup needs help in order to have some return of investmen

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI WIlliam, and welcome to the Community.

AdWords may be able to help you with some business but you'll need to set it up carefully and if possible have a good budget for a short test.

Can you explain in more details what happened when you tried AdWords before?  Did you not get any sales or did your sales not cover the cost of advertising?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thank you for welcoming me and please forgive my late response.

We didn't get any sales true AdWords.

It was our first try and those are the results: 

Clicks : 144
Impr.: 281.875
CTR: 0.05 %
Avg. CPC: € 0.75

Maybe we should try a higher budget on a shorter amount of time in order to have faster and more accurate results.

The thing I'm a little scared of is that I read somewhere that the average purchase price on the internet is +/- 80 €. The higher your product prices, the harder it gets to sells them true the internet, because people still prefer to buy them in actual shops.

Best regards,

William

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi William, I wouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet Smiley Happy  While I suppose it is generally true that more expensive items require more thought than cheaper ones, I wouldn't say that there's any magical figure over which it becomes hard to sell.  I have clients that regularly sell items valued into the thousands of dollars online so your prices shouldn't be an obstacle.

From the looks of your figures you advertised on the Display network, yes?  I can't tell whether you also advertised on Search but it doesn't really matter.  For sales of a product like yours I'd advertise on Search only, not Display.  Advertising on Search will allow you to use Keywords that are tightly focused to your products and which include terms such as "buy" and "online" to make sure you do attract people looking to buy online, not just browsers or people interested in the sport.

I'd recommend that you use a minimum of a Modified Broad Match type (i.e. not "simple" Broad matches) and you'll probably find that Phrase or Exact match types work better in the long run.

You must make sure you're tracking sales with AdWords Conversion tracking so you can link a sale to AdWords.  Without this you'll never be able to accurately judge if AdWords is successful for you.  So, in short:

• Advertise on the Search network only
  • Make sure you use tightly focused Keywords and that they encourage buyers not browsers
  • Add a remarketing tag to your site and set Analytics for Display support so you can run a Remarketing Campaign in the future.
  • Make sure Conversion tracking of online sales is installed and working.

Do all that, leave it a week and come back Smiley Happy

More about Match Types

More about Remarketing with AdWords

More about Remarketing with Analytics

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I totally agree with Jon.
Looks like you are using Search and Display Network. Please go to your Campaign Settings and choose "Search Network Only" from Type. Make sure to choose "All Features".

1. I would prefer you to uncheck "Include Search Partners" from Network. Just focus first on Google Search Network Only. If you include Search Partners, you are allowing Google to show your ads in AOL, CNN, & other Search Partners.

2. Your keywords. Why do not you start with just phrase match type keywords? As Jon suggested, you may also start with broad match modifier instead of phrase match for your keywords. I hope you know to use broad match modifier. If not, refer http://www.google.com/ads/innovations/bmm.html

3. Choose your keywords with care. Do not start with generic keywords. Start with specific keywords. For example, I would prefer using +buy +barbie +toy as a keyword in my adgroup than just +buy +toy

Thanks,
Balu.
www.locsea.com/blog.php