AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube TrueView - In-Stream Ad - How Do I Place An Ideal Budget?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The full question of this topic is:

How do i place an ideal budget or an estimate at least, before launching a campaign?

Here's my case and a question about YouTube TrueView:

Well, I have a prospective client asking about how much is he going to pay if i am to manage his YouTube TrueView - In-stream ad. I couldn't give him a specific budget for his in-stream ad to consume neither he doesn't have an existing account of it (he just learned this PPV ad service from a friend). I have a few questions, hope you could help:

How do i know the competition in regard to using this service?

Know any tools that analyze my YouTube ad video or the competitor's YouTube ad video (except for the tool i found on my research, It's called SimplyMeasured - which only analyze the views and clicks. I'm expecting to see how much my competitors' spendings)?

What if my video ad with 90 seconds is about a not-so-known laptop brand versus competitor - Samsung laptop. I can't figure out how much my competitor is spending unless I'm already running the campaign. You know, when i'm already running my in-stream ad campaign, that's the point where my budget is increasing up because my competitor is a big brand, the system will know they're bidding higher therefore the standard bid versus them will get higher too. (e.g.  let's put it this way, just a case, we have the same QS, if i only have $10 daily budget and they have $25 bid then the more their ad appears, right?).

What i want to attain is to figure out first the estimated budget so my client will know he's paying me right and i have a logical reason to him why i'm asking for that amount of budget (before launching his YouTube TruView In-Stream ad campaign).

Your help or any tip about this is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: YouTube TrueView - In-Stream Ad - How Do I Place An Ideal Budget?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi RJ,

I have referred this post to our support team. They can provide you with a more tailored answer to this specific question. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, please post the answer here for everybody's reference.

Looking forward to your team's response.

Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RJ Cortez
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, I would like to share Vikram's e-mail to me (he should replied the message here... anyway, I thank him for his awesome response).

For everybody's reference, if you encounter the same case (review below):

I am Vikram, and I will be glad to help you with your query.

How do i place and ideal budget or an estimate at least, before launching a campaign?

We unfortunately do not have any pricing chart available which could should what is an ideal budget. However, in terms of Adwords for video how you determine the budget is by making a backward calculation.

First decide what is the amount of views you would expect from advertising. Then make a dummy campaign for Adwords for video.Select the targeting criteria and see how many views the estimation graph is showing based on those targeting and other campaign setting.

This may not be the accurate way to determine a budget but it is an effective way to get an estimate of how much to spend for the number of views expected.

For more information on targeting: Targeting options

How do i know the competition in regard to using this service?

You cannot determine as to how the competition is bidding or how long they have been running the ads. However, in using Adwords more the focus you should have is on your ads and your content and your targeting. By focusing on the factors which are in your hand you will reap more benefit from your advertisements.

So there is no direct way of understanding the competition unless you use the service for a test campaign and review the results of the test campaign 

How to create better video ads: Create better video ads

Know any tools that analyze my YouTube ad video or the competitor's YouTube ad video (except for the tool i found on my research, It's called SimplyMeasured - which only analyze the views and clicks. I'm expecting to see how much my competitors' spendings)?

Currently there is no which will compare your ads with the competitors ads. Since, Adwords for Video is a newly developed feature, our engineers are still working on developing tools for Video Campaigns.

However, we have YouTube analytics reporting which gives data about views and estimated minutes watched for the content, geography and date range specified in the data filter.

For more details on YouTube Analytics: Youtube Analytics and Basics of Youtube analytics 

What if my video ad with 90 seconds is about a not-so-known laptop brand versus competitor - Samsung laptop. I can't figure out how much my competitor is spending unless I'm already running the campaign. You know, when i'm already running my in-stream ad campaign, that's the point where my budget is increasing up because my competitor is a big brand, the system will know they're bidding higher therefore the standard bid versus them will get higher too. (e.g.  let's put it this way, just a case, we have the same QS, if i only have $10 daily budget and they have $25 bid then the more their ad appears, right?).

More the budget will give the system more flexibility to show the ads more frequently. 

However winning the ad auction will depend on quality score, account history,performance of the ads in the account,user relevancy,bids,past trends of the ads performance.

So even if your competition bids more than you, you can still win a higher position -- at a lower price -- with highly relevant targeting and ads.

How is View charged and counted:

For in-search and In-display, the view is counted which occurs milliseconds after the video is successfully loaded into the player.  This ensures advertisers are not charged when users are unable to watch the video.

For in stream, the view is counted when the ad reaches 30 sec mark or the video is completed whichever comes first.

Example #1 (ad is shorter than 30 seconds): For a 19 second ad, the advertiser will be charged at 19 seconds and the view would be counted at 19 sec.

Example #2 (ad is longer than 30 seconds): For a 45 second ad the advertiser will be charged at 30 seconds and the view would be counted at 30 sec mark.

I hope this information helps.

Do let me know in case of any queries.

Sincerely,

Vikram

NOTE: Links were removed as our messageboard doesn't allow it (notice strikethrough text)

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello RJ Cortez,

I am not able to make an estimate of demographics reach for a video campaign based on my targeting :  gender/age, youtube.com and excluding mobiles.

Regarding what your posted "Select the targeting criteria and see how many views the estimation graph is showing based on those targeting and other campaign setting."

Did you happend to come across this estimation graph ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all this was a great discussion but Vikram concluded by saying that engineers were developing solutions about 9 months ago so I am just wondering if there are any updates to the info provided.

Thanks, Ron