1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube Ads not working -- at all?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First off, the interface for Video Ads sucks. It's really bad especially going from the 'Promote' feature on a video into Google Adwords. Horrible and I wish they'd fix it.

Ok the question:

I'm trying to run some ads. They've been up for about 18 or so hours. For one set I've not gotten any impressions. At all. I've upped the budget. Nothing.

Another got 10 impressions (lol) but nothing else. I'm really kinda sad here and I really want to run some ads. Anyone know what's up? What are the hacks for YT Ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: YouTube Ads not working -- at all?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Unix,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Feel free to leave any feedback for the AdWords platform with suggestions for improvement on our feedback page.

As far as the video campaign, first I'd recommend taking a look at the Ads tab and making sure the video which hasn't received impressions is marked as "approved," and not disapproved or under review. Also double check that the date range you are viewing is set to Today.

From there, rather than playing around with the budget, I would recommend taking a second look at your targeting options and settings. Are you targeting a narrow geographical area? Turned off mobile ads? Set up an ad schedule? And what kind of targeting categories are you using? Keywords or interest targeting are generally broad enough to bring in many, many views, but keep in mind that any targeting you set within one ad group will layer on top of one another. Setting more than one targeting method per ad group can be too restrictive, especially if this is the first video campaign you've created.

These are just some initial areas to check, but let me know more specifics if you can and I'm happy to help further!

Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Unix,

Thanks for posting to the Community. Feel free to leave any feedback for the AdWords platform with suggestions for improvement on our feedback page.

As far as the video campaign, first I'd recommend taking a look at the Ads tab and making sure the video which hasn't received impressions is marked as "approved," and not disapproved or under review. Also double check that the date range you are viewing is set to Today.

From there, rather than playing around with the budget, I would recommend taking a second look at your targeting options and settings. Are you targeting a narrow geographical area? Turned off mobile ads? Set up an ad schedule? And what kind of targeting categories are you using? Keywords or interest targeting are generally broad enough to bring in many, many views, but keep in mind that any targeting you set within one ad group will layer on top of one another. Setting more than one targeting method per ad group can be too restrictive, especially if this is the first video campaign you've created.

These are just some initial areas to check, but let me know more specifics if you can and I'm happy to help further!

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie, Thanks for the help! My instream ad is indeed not running and I was not picking a date where I could see the stats. Thanks a bunch. Do you know why in-stream ads tend to take a lot longer to be approved than in-display? Just wondering. Thanks. Also, where could I find industry averages? I'm new at this so I'm not sure if my results for certain things (CTR, View Rate, etc) are good or bad. Let me know. Thanks again, Cassie - U

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Unix,

Thanks for following up. I'm glad to hear things are up and running now!

Different ad formats take different lengths of time to get approved; you'll see the same if you create a Display Campaign and have both text and image ads. Ads generally take only 24 hours to get approved, but the Ad Review team will also periodically choose to manually review some ads.

Unfortunately I do not have any benchmarks to share. Since every industry and sub-categories within industries are so diverse, we do not publish any sort of industry averages. Through testing and consistently optimizing your campaigns, though, you will learn what works best for your industry and your videos more specifically.

Good luck!
Cassie