AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Year 2 on a Big Nationwide E-commerce Account.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking for some general advice from the community on handling my second year on a sizable account with $2M in spend.  $170 AOV.  All E-Commerce business.

I've reduced the cost/conversion by 35% & AdWords-attributed sales are up almost 200% year over year.  We've gone from about 600 account level negative terms to almost 10000.  We've flattened out the vocabulary, added 100s of more granular AGs, A/B tested ads over and over.  We have a well segmented Remarketing effort.  Bids are tiered effectively to maximize relevance.  In essence, we've employed all the Google best practices (our overall google partner grade is in the top 4% - the new measure - which I assume is good).  

So, in year two we want to do better, grow a little more, become more cost-effective... I am little concerned the sponge has been rung out quite a bit and that the significant improvements we made in 2013 likely will not be replicated in 2014.

In the context of just Adwords (we have third party remarketing, we've got Bing), I'd be interested in suggestions for year two of a large account that is now in good shape.

If you have a clarifying question I'd be happy to answer with follow-up.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
September 2015

Re: Year 2 on a Big Nationwide E-commerce Account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Doug,

It's an interesting challenge to provide advice while it seems you've already implemented best practices. In any case, these advanced approaches have worked for me:

1. Run Geo Performance reports to understand ROAS by state, metro, and city area; you can grow revenue in performing regions by increasing bids and targeting in those regions with expanded campaigns while they meet ROAS goals.
  2. That's great that you've grown your negative keyword lists and those are very important. Mine more from your Search Query Performance report - non-performing queries and words (you can view aggregate performance of each word from phrases with some custom programming or our free ppc tool)
  3. Try to grow your exact phrases - they will cost less and generally perform better than broad match keywords.
  4. You've probably thought through it thoroughly by now, but there's much to say about campaign and ad group organization... especially for an e-commerce site. This organization should correlate to your landing page content - store brand, manufacturers, category-based, specific items; also product usage-scenarios, compete... And keep Search and Display campaigns separate.
  5. Offers / coupon codes are effective for improving sales conversion and if your cart supports it then you can create promotional campaigns (especially for remarketing) that incorporate $ or %-off discounts and are exclusive to paid search (encoded in the URL) - consider featuring these discounts in Search & Display campaigns. Especially during seasonal sales, messaging exclusive or limited time offers can lift paid search direct revenue 20%+.
  6. Product Listing Ads... you can also optimize these based on performance, retaining only those that meet your ROAS goals. List only in-stock items.
  7. To keep things interesting for your client for year 2, 3, 4... it's best to have a story to tell. This way even if you hit a threshold where performance is not growing so significantly, you are confirming you understand their business, are aligned with their goals, and consistently making progress with best practices. Sounds like you've tested ad texts and landing pages... best practices there go a long ways and it's important to keep your progress with those as part of your story for your client. Also, consider using new and interesting visualizations (such as a treemap of revenue by state and city).
  8. Find Display network opportunities. We usually "cast a wide net" then move the automatic placements into managed placements based on their performance. This could be expensive. So we also mine for them (based on our own scoring and techniques) then place them into managed placements. For instance, if you have a coupon offer, then targeting specific deal sites could make sense.
  9. Consider buying competitor e-commerce site branded terms, and message your distinct advantages or compelling offers.
  10. We use spyfu to research competitor activity - and this is useful for gaining insights into messaging, landing pages, keywords, and campaign organization (often campaign and ad group data is encoded in their destination URLs). Also, clients really like see we're on top of their market with the competitive intelligence data.
  11. Periodically check your destination URLs to validate https status and site content correlates with ad texts. We built a tool for checking ad links and sitelinks along with on-page content too...

I've enjoyed operating and marketing for e-commerce business for over 15 years and hope at least a couple of these tips can be useful for year 2 and beyond.

Regards,

Bejan A.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Doug, great question!  Assuming that you'll continue to "tweak" and use the best practices you're already employing, how about the following:

1. Re-visiting the past:  Are there products you've previously dropped for poor performance that might work better now the Account is more tightly tuned?  Or might you have more time to work on these specific products and their advertising niche?

2. The GDN:  If you're not currently using the GDN, some experimentation could be worthwhile and once you start there you've a whole new world of Ad types to explore.

3. Video:  As above, if you're not using Video at all, consider it.

4. Mobile:  Mobile use is changing over time and 2014 is going to be more important than ever so that's an area everyone should be focusing on.

5. Scripts and automation:  Look at how you might make your advertising more dynamic and your management more efficient.

6. The Website:  How old is the site?  Is it due for a refresh?  If the site you're aiming at now is the one there when you came on board it seems possible you could offer some useful advice there as well.

7. The Company:  Is there an opportunity to expand product ranges or add new ones?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author PPCBUILDERS
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Doug,

It's an interesting challenge to provide advice while it seems you've already implemented best practices. In any case, these advanced approaches have worked for me:

1. Run Geo Performance reports to understand ROAS by state, metro, and city area; you can grow revenue in performing regions by increasing bids and targeting in those regions with expanded campaigns while they meet ROAS goals.
  2. That's great that you've grown your negative keyword lists and those are very important. Mine more from your Search Query Performance report - non-performing queries and words (you can view aggregate performance of each word from phrases with some custom programming or our free ppc tool)
  3. Try to grow your exact phrases - they will cost less and generally perform better than broad match keywords.
  4. You've probably thought through it thoroughly by now, but there's much to say about campaign and ad group organization... especially for an e-commerce site. This organization should correlate to your landing page content - store brand, manufacturers, category-based, specific items; also product usage-scenarios, compete... And keep Search and Display campaigns separate.
  5. Offers / coupon codes are effective for improving sales conversion and if your cart supports it then you can create promotional campaigns (especially for remarketing) that incorporate $ or %-off discounts and are exclusive to paid search (encoded in the URL) - consider featuring these discounts in Search & Display campaigns. Especially during seasonal sales, messaging exclusive or limited time offers can lift paid search direct revenue 20%+.
  6. Product Listing Ads... you can also optimize these based on performance, retaining only those that meet your ROAS goals. List only in-stock items.
  7. To keep things interesting for your client for year 2, 3, 4... it's best to have a story to tell. This way even if you hit a threshold where performance is not growing so significantly, you are confirming you understand their business, are aligned with their goals, and consistently making progress with best practices. Sounds like you've tested ad texts and landing pages... best practices there go a long ways and it's important to keep your progress with those as part of your story for your client. Also, consider using new and interesting visualizations (such as a treemap of revenue by state and city).
  8. Find Display network opportunities. We usually "cast a wide net" then move the automatic placements into managed placements based on their performance. This could be expensive. So we also mine for them (based on our own scoring and techniques) then place them into managed placements. For instance, if you have a coupon offer, then targeting specific deal sites could make sense.
  9. Consider buying competitor e-commerce site branded terms, and message your distinct advantages or compelling offers.
  10. We use spyfu to research competitor activity - and this is useful for gaining insights into messaging, landing pages, keywords, and campaign organization (often campaign and ad group data is encoded in their destination URLs). Also, clients really like see we're on top of their market with the competitive intelligence data.
  11. Periodically check your destination URLs to validate https status and site content correlates with ad texts. We built a tool for checking ad links and sitelinks along with on-page content too...

I've enjoyed operating and marketing for e-commerce business for over 15 years and hope at least a couple of these tips can be useful for year 2 and beyond.

Regards,

Bejan A.