Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Writing Adwords ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

As relatively new to the Adwords world, I'm curious about your opinions. What would be your main advice when it comes to writing good Adwords ad copy? What do you think is the most important thing to keep in mind when writing search ads?

Thanks for your input!

/L

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Writing Adwords ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Linnea,

I would suggest you the help page linked-to below if you wish to create a good text copy.

*** Write successful text ads ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704392?hl=en

My vote would go for 3 main factors.

1. Compliance (with policies)
2. Relevance
3. Compelling text

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply, and for taking the time to give your opinion as well.

I'm a bit surprised to discover that there is quite little focus on the actual ad copy in the business. At least from my own experience, and from a brief research in forums like these. Since the ad text is the actual interaction point between the brand and its audience, I would have thought it should be rather important.

Your list makes perfect sense and is perfectly short, concrete and helpful. Compliance and relevance need to be in place for it to even be approved and visible to be seen. Only after this does it matter what the ad contains.

Beyond that, though, one could discuss what it is that makes a text compelling. I don't see many of those discussions, and it made me wonder if it's a sign that the ad content is of a lesser priority and a bit overlooked. Does traditional copywriting have a place in the SEM business, for example.

Cheers
/L

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Linnea,

".... one could discuss what it is that makes a text compelling ...."

Most of the forum members do have a very definite analytical bias while text adverts are often referred to as creatives. That's because they often need something like the creative approach of an artist or poet - versus a scientist. Take these words as an example:

To be or not to be-that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...etc

That's around 25 words in proper English. However, could any one analyze what makes these words the most famous ones in the history of literature? Probably no one could. Likewise, who could explain how to write a sonnet, the way the great Shakespeare did? Chances are, not many of us. 

Of course, the above is a good bit of a stretch, but the point in it is correct. There is no analytical way to explain how exactly creative minds do their job. It does not mean that text ads are less important. In fact they are pretty much important. However, there might not be a scientific analysis that will foretell which one will be popular and which one will not. (That is even more so when it comes to ad banners or videos.) 

Best,

Lakatos

PS: Because of the above what we typically do is this. We run multiple ad copies simultaneously and regularly weed out the poor performers; upon which new  copies are added to the ad group; and so on. That's a never ending iteration process. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you still wish to dive a bit deeper, you are advised to start with this article of @Dave_Davis:

Ad-Writing Tips From the Trenches – A New Formulaic Way to Write AdWords Ads

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Ad-Writing-Tips-From-the-Trenches-A-New-Formulaic...