AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Write keywords based on a primary word

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am currently developing a campaign that will target businsses that are wanting a mobile website and using keywords such as develop mobile websitemobile website designers and etc.

I have purposely set my keywords as broad and have built around 300 negatives to filter out unwanted searches based on specific words. I am not wanting to choose phrase or exact match as this will narrow down my reach. From experience, I find that the best option is to build a massive bank of negative keywords and keep the keywords as broad.

Since I have elected broad keywords, any search queries based on websites, i.e website designer (without the word mobile appearing) will be displayed. I am not wanting this. 

I can add -website as a negative keyword but this solution will not work 100%. How can I make sure that every search term must include the term mobile for it display and without this word, no ad will be displayed?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Write keywords based on a primary word

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

For me targeting only broad match type keywords is certainly not a wise strategy to follow in Adwords.

You might add lot of negative keywords as you said, but still if you analyze the situation overall, you will see that you will be inputting lot of efforts only analysing the terms and getting the negative keywords out of it to include them in your campaigns.

Rather, if you go with the phrase and exact match type keywords, I think your implementation time in optimizing the account will be much faster as compared to looking for irrelevant terms by working only on Broad match type keywords.

This would also result in higher CTR and high ad relevance as well. You might also consider adding Broad modifiers instead of only Broad match type keywords.

That's my interpretation!

Pankaj