AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Would this constitute Double Serving / Unfair Advantage?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who has two completely separate business units that sell a technology solution that is similar at the core, but they have to keep the two meticulously separate because of who is using the solution and how (FDA rules - very strict). The two parts of the business are not even geographically co-located. Legally they need to have complete separation (separate teams, budgets, etc.). That said, the two products / technologies share a website. And the one product / application's marketing team has set up an AdWords account. We were hired by the other business unit to help promote the other product / application. Would creating a second AdWords account constitute a violation of Google policy in this situation? Please advise.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Would this constitute Double Serving / Unfair Advantage?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If the two accounts advertise the same domain name, AdWords will automatically prevent double-serving. You'll be fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for answering, Michael. I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. You are saying that if we set up a second AdWords account driving traffic to the same domain that is OK with Google's TOS? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Dorota U;

When analyzing the  "gain unfair advantage"   (formerly known as "double serving") a few factors should be considered:

1. Is this the same business entity
  2. Are the products / services sold - the same or similar?
  3. What is the targeting audience.? 

So if the same business entity  promotes the same service by targeting the same audience (e.g. Same age group) within the same Geo region - even by using different domains - this would be a violation.

A deeper look into the specifics of your case is required, however, at first sight, from the details you provided,  it seems  that there is no violation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Dorota U wrote:
You are saying that if we set up a second AdWords account driving traffic to the same domain that is OK with Google's TOS?

That is what I'm saying. There is no prohibition against a company or domain having having two AdWords accounts. I've worked with companies that had dozens of accounts for one website.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I disagree with @Michael Bauser;

Having multiple accounts for the same business promoting the same content (e.g. Products or services)  which is aimed to the same targeted audience is a clear violation of the "gain unfair advantage " clause  of the Policy. This is clearly stated within the Policy;

>>Using the Google Network to gain an unfair traffic advantage over other participants in the auction. Examples: 

>>"Promoting the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Totally wrong, @MosheTLV.

The policy prohibits using two accounts to show simultaneous ads in the same query results. Google will automatically stop two ads from the same domain appearing in the same search (unless the domain has a special exemption), so the advertiser in this situation will have no double-serving policy violation.

Nobody gets in trouble just for having two accounts with the same domain and targeting. They get in trouble for trying to get around the automatic safeguards.

I'm not basing my answer on the help center. I've worked on advertisers in this exact situation in the real world. They're not going to have any policy issues.

In fact, they'll probably be back in a month asking "why are impressions so low in my second account?" and the answer will be "because your first account is always winning the auction, and automatic double-serving safeguards prevent the second account from serving an ad."

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Michael Bauser;

Well... First, for a more constructive and friendly discussion,  I would lower the tone  a bit.... You can disagree, or challenge my answer, However, saying I was  "totally wrong" is a bit "extreme"... (Especially considering my expertise  on Policy issues....)

As to the point you raised:  You should differentiate between the Policy (i.e the Guidelines / Terms of Service - which the Policy is a part of) vs.  its enforcement. (Either by technical means or by reviewing  accounts by humans)

Having two accounts by the same business entity, promoting the same or similar products, aim to target the same audience (i.e different users running similar queries) - is a violation. (In the previous version of the Policy, it was said explicitly. In the current  version, though the substance / nature  was not changed -  the language was modified.) 

Whether all measures / safeguards  Google utilizes to enforce the Policy are effective - this is a totally   "different ball  game", which has been discussed extensively on this community and was brought to the attention of Google. Google is aware of frustration by many advertisers on the effectiveness of  enforcing the "gain unfair advantage"  clause. (And I would add, without elaborating: working on improving the process...)