AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Would like to take over our SEM campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Our company (small/medium enterprise) is currently paying a third-party account manager to manage our SEM campaign for us. At this point, however, we would like to take charge of our own campaign again, due to a variety of reasons.

Would appreciate any advice/words of caution regarding this.

I understand that Google does not allow advertisers to utilize several accounts to display their advertisements. Our contract with the manager will end shortly, however. Would it be alright if we set up a brand-new account with our own campaign right after our contract ends? Or would we be in a position to request the manager to hand over all details of the campaign account to us?

Thank you. =)

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Would like to take over our SEM campaign.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Evangeline,

This can be a touchy situation but only you know the details of your relationship and agreement with this management group. My immediate advise to you would be to make certain that you get and maintain full administrative access to your account, if you don't have it already (Before discussing the 'end of the deal'). If you must, you can the remove any unwanted access to your account.

I've not personally heard of any management group withholding an account after a deal is done. I always practice full transparency and give my clients full access.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Some very good advice offered here, but I have a thought or two to add.

Depending on how the account was created, it may not be a set-up that allows them to just hand it over to you. However, this is the best option, so I'd certainly try it first.  There can be only one active account for a domain, as you already know. Any failure of the agency's part to get the existing account paused or deleted or any accidental re-activation of that account in the future could wind up getting you permanently suspended from AdWords for seeming to try to violate the double-serving policy.

If the agency isn't prepared to hand you a stand-alone account, I suggest that you require them to have the account deleted (not just pause the campaigns) and to provide you with confirmation that this has been done.

Also, although it's none of my business your CTR sounds on the low side of average, that number itself doesn't sound to me like the red flag of failure. Account-level statistics are interesting--but not all of them are meaningful when it comes to evaluating the overall success or failure of a campaign. The only thing that matters is whether or not you achieved what you set out to achieve. The numbers are just road signs to help you get there.

Three months means it's a very new account still--how much time have you spent working with the agency on refining your ad messaging or discussing what markets (Ad Groups) you want to target or evaluating your landing pages to make sure you're giving the best results to the visitors who actually make it to the website? Have you discussed which networks (Google, Search Partners, Display) you're serving and which one or ones might produce the best results in your industry? Have you

Have you discussed the results you're getting with them and asked them for ideas on how to make improvements?

Did you work with them to set concrete goals before your advertising campaign was activated? 

Your post sparked a lot of thoughts in my mind. Smiley Happy  When working with an agency, you need to treat the process the way you'd treat any vendor relationship you formed for your company. You need to lay out concrete expectations, set a reasonable timeline, monitor progress, and provided regular feedback. 

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Evangeline,

This can be a touchy situation but only you know the details of your relationship and agreement with this management group. My immediate advise to you would be to make certain that you get and maintain full administrative access to your account, if you don't have it already (Before discussing the 'end of the deal'). If you must, you can the remove any unwanted access to your account.

I've not personally heard of any management group withholding an account after a deal is done. I always practice full transparency and give my clients full access.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

It depends on how long the account has been running and if was running at above or below average.

If it was going pretty well then your best option would be to request that the existing account be handed over to you as it has built up some history and a new account would be starting fresh again.

Not all 3rd parties will make a hand over easy so you may have to create a new account to run from.

You won't be penailised in any way for doing this, it's not an issue.

If it wasn't running that well and you don't have much account history a new account isn't a bad thing either.

How long was it running for? 3-6 months? high or low spend?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our contract with the manager is for 3 months, so it is relatively new. =) And, well, I don't think our results were that great, we averaged below 1.5% CTR. I think it was rather low/middle-spend, although I can't be sure what the average is.

Thanks for the information, feel more comfortable with moving control over to us now.

I believe that we may decide to start fresh to prevent any unwanted complications, given the brief history of our contract and our results.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there evangeline!

I agree with the guys who posted above me as far as advice goes. I think you will benefit from the data that has accrued for those 3 months so you don't make the same mistakes they did, once you start off by yourself. Once you have this data, it shouldn't be a problem for you to make informed decisions and be able to reach your goals.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

-Johnathan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well I do have the monthly reports that the manager generated for us, so I can refer back to those should I need it =') I will request the account details however. More data the better right? 

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Some very good advice offered here, but I have a thought or two to add.

Depending on how the account was created, it may not be a set-up that allows them to just hand it over to you. However, this is the best option, so I'd certainly try it first.  There can be only one active account for a domain, as you already know. Any failure of the agency's part to get the existing account paused or deleted or any accidental re-activation of that account in the future could wind up getting you permanently suspended from AdWords for seeming to try to violate the double-serving policy.

If the agency isn't prepared to hand you a stand-alone account, I suggest that you require them to have the account deleted (not just pause the campaigns) and to provide you with confirmation that this has been done.

Also, although it's none of my business your CTR sounds on the low side of average, that number itself doesn't sound to me like the red flag of failure. Account-level statistics are interesting--but not all of them are meaningful when it comes to evaluating the overall success or failure of a campaign. The only thing that matters is whether or not you achieved what you set out to achieve. The numbers are just road signs to help you get there.

Three months means it's a very new account still--how much time have you spent working with the agency on refining your ad messaging or discussing what markets (Ad Groups) you want to target or evaluating your landing pages to make sure you're giving the best results to the visitors who actually make it to the website? Have you discussed which networks (Google, Search Partners, Display) you're serving and which one or ones might produce the best results in your industry? Have you

Have you discussed the results you're getting with them and asked them for ideas on how to make improvements?

Did you work with them to set concrete goals before your advertising campaign was activated? 

Your post sparked a lot of thoughts in my mind. Smiley Happy  When working with an agency, you need to treat the process the way you'd treat any vendor relationship you formed for your company. You need to lay out concrete expectations, set a reasonable timeline, monitor progress, and provided regular feedback. 

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm fairly frustrated here, so please bear with me. =(

Before we took it over, I made sure to call Google support and check with them whether I can request deletion of the old account and then set up a new account.

They said "yes".

Now, having set up the new account and requested deletion of the old campaign, I started up the new campaign only to have my ads suspended. I called Google and now they said even if I delete the account they still count it against me!

This makes absolutely zero sense to me. Are they going to penalize people who deleted their account, then decided to restart their campaign? =/

Can a customer service representative please, please reply this? I've sent an urgent request to my ex-vendor to stop the deletion of the old account (if possible, we will take it over, then I will manually remove my website from my new account's campaigns). But I worry that they can't stop the request.

I also tried sending an email to Google, but it does not list an email I can send to. Even trying to send in a form, i can't send in an explanation of my situation and hope that someone will see it. I suppose an organization as large as Google finds it difficult to attend to every client individually, but this situation is really... exasperating.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Evangeline,

This certainly sounds like a complicated case. Presuming that both you and the agency were advertising for the same domain, there shouldn't have been a policy concern. The AdWords system only servers one ad for a domain in any given ad auction, so double-serving isn't really possible in that context. I think that something else might be going on here. Please answer the clarifying questions below so I can provide more guidance:

1. Did you get an actual suspension email? If so, can you provide the content of the email (do not include an sensative information like your 10-digit Customer ID)?

2. What URL are you advertising for? Were both you and the agency advertising for the same domain? 

3. If you click 'Contact AdWords' in the upper-right hand corner of this page while logged in as the same email address as your account, what happenens? Are you able to contact support that way?

I'm hoping that I can provide more help, as this sounds like a tough situations!

Thank you,

Brian D.