AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Worth designing banners for all available sizes for display network?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Is it worth designing all banners sizes for available display network placements?

I notice that they have a lot of small sizes which seem difficult to fit any good copy in -- what are your experiences with CTR's for those odd sized banners in display network campaigns?

Cheers,

Michal

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Worth designing banners for all available sizes for display networ

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

If you're only running one size of ad, the number of sites and pages that will run your ad may be very limited. You may want to create your image ad in every format that we allow to increase your chance of showing. As Image ads only run on select Display Network sites, and the format of your ad must match the size and format accepted by each website.

For example, if you've uploaded a 160x600 wide skyscraper ad, make sure the site you're looking for your ad on accepts ads in that format. You can use Display Planner to see which ad formats are accepted by specific sites. You may also want to create an image ad in every format that we allow to cover all your bases.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ahmed. What are your experiences with CTR's related to those odd sized banner sizes?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Michal,

You might find this guide helpful. It was actually designed for AdSense users but it iss applicable, these are the sizes that Google considers to be top performing: https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/6002621?hl=en-GB

We typically select a few image sizes and go from there. We run some creative A/B tests before we build anything out in all sizes. Also, if we get enough volume with just a few, we might not ever build out any additional sizes.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Amy, great insights.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Michal,

Firstly Thank you for posting some interesting and brainstorming questions.

When you create a campaign and target the Display network, it is always recommended practice to create ads in all available sizes. The reason being not all websites allocate all sizes for the ads to be displayed.

Now, your thought was good as small ad sizes may not go well with your business (went through your earlier questions). So, you can create enticing ads in sizes you think would work well.

However, lets not forget the display network is so huge, that you would get lot of impressions provided bid and budget are sufficient, But it is not recommended to go with CPC in the display network as CTR will surely be less add may effect the account performance otherwise. CPM is the right option if you wish to target the Display Network and that way CTR is out of question.

All the more, imagine if you go to a website and you find some 3 display ads, do you click on all three of them? No right. so obviously CTR will be less and so CPM would be a better option. I am sorry as I could not explain more as I am leaving for the day today.

Will check the thread tomorrow to see what Rahul K and Sumanth and Amy Bishop and other top contributors have to say on this .

- Prashanth Reniguntala

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
The most top performing sizes are often 300x250 and 728x90. I use adsense & adwords, I can tell. However, it's not given that the size works for other should work for you. You should test many sizes by yourself.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ahmed, great insights as well. Cheers.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Michal B,

I have to disagree with Prashanth Reniguntala. The display network has it's own QS calculation that is separate from search This QS does not affect QS on Google search or Google partners. Bidding CPM does not necessarily mitigate a low QS on the DN. The DN QS is different for each web site. We never get to see that QS.

Bidding CPM may get you more impressions, but CTR is still important. I suggest you bid according to your business model. CPC bidding works for some (including me), CPM bidding will work for others.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords