AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Word exclusion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to exclude the word "bike" but not "motorbike". How would I add the word "bike" to my exclusion list but ensure that anything relating to searches for "motorbike" aren't effected?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Word exclusion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Gavin H,

I am trying to interpret the query strictly. If that is what you want and you don't want anything else, chances are I'd use this configuration:

[motorbike]

-bike

or perhaps "motorbike" & -bike

Even if you choose the option in bold, close variants will still include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings, abbreviations, and accents. Whether you select exact match or phrase match, should depend on the intended scope of keyword targeting.

***   About keyword matching options   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Word exclusion

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Gavin H,

I am trying to interpret the query strictly. If that is what you want and you don't want anything else, chances are I'd use this configuration:

[motorbike]

-bike

or perhaps "motorbike" & -bike

Even if you choose the option in bold, close variants will still include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings, abbreviations, and accents. Whether you select exact match or phrase match, should depend on the intended scope of keyword targeting.

***   About keyword matching options   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Best,

Lakatos

Word exclusion

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

My only concern would be the misspellings.  For example if someone wrote "motor bike".  I see this quite often in my search queries.

Word exclusion

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yeah, sure... @Gavin H should keep an eye on the Search Terms report and weed out the unwanted ones ...