2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Word choice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! How big is the difference between a word in plural and the singular one? Like Doctor and DoctorS?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Word choice

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Nathália,

AdWords will automatically show you for close keyword variations, including plurals and misspellings. So you can just use the word "doctor," for examples, and still show for a search that uses "doctors."

More here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en&vid=1-635799339062704767-3645851084

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'd recommend adding both variations, I do for a few of my more competitive campaigns & there are noticeable differences in performance.

For example, [property auction] vs [property auctions] shows a 14% difference in Avg. CPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the helpful answers, CassieH and KevinM! I'll check the results of both variations on my main groups of keywords. Best.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Nathália P while @Kevin M's advice is sound, do make sure you don't unnecessarily create variations that are automatically covered.  

I always recommend starting with fewer, high traffic, Keywords, then adjusting to refine that initial set rather than starting with a high number of Keywords and attempting to pare them down.  The initial build of a new Campaign always involves a lot of discovery and having a large number of Keywords - many of which may be unnecessary variations - will make the management and refinement process more complex than it needs to be.

How I'd suggest you proceed is to just use one version (probably the singular) in your initial build, then, once you've gathered enough data to make decisions about "good" and "bad" Keywords, then consider including specific variations.  The Search Terms report will be your best ally in this process as it'll give you a good idea of what actual search terms are being matched to your Keywords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I think CassieH is right. As all the match types in adwords are eligible to show your ads with close variations (including singular and plurals). so rather increasing your keyword list including both the variations just opt the one with has more searches or lower estimated bid.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! I will follow your advice about the number of words.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your help!