AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Within an Adgroup, can I exclude certain ads from a given keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently created a number of new ads in each of my adgroups using the {Keyword:...} keyword insertion element. I've run into an problem based on the fact that some of our keywords (like common misspellings of an acronym-- "IC" vs. the correct "ISEE") are not correct but are common mistakes that searchers make when actually searching for related products. So, a searcher will search "IC test" and our ad will insert this misspelling into the {Keyword} token. 

I'm wondering if there is a way to exclude these undesirable keywords from certain ads. 

One option of course would be to create new adgroups with new ads that do not use Keyword Insertion...these new adgroups would not include keywords with common misspellings, misnomers (etc.) that are still good clicks for us but that do not properly represent our product. But is there any way that I can keep the our current adgroups/keywords intact but restrict which keywords can yield the ads with Keyword Insertion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff D
February 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

No. Keywords are the targeting method of the adgroup, and the ads are the content of that adgroup. You have to put those terms in their own adgroup(s) with static headlines/ads. Dynamic Keyword Insertion is an advanced technique. You should only use it if you have a highly controlled structure, designed to be used specifically with DKI ads. If you're not very careful, you could end up having ad approval issues, and if you are using nothing but (disapproved) DKI ads, then you will stop accruing impressions for the entire account.

By and large, you will get better overall performance and results using highly optimized static text ads than you will gambling on DKI ads. If you know that having a KW term in the ad content for an adgroup improves the overall performance of that adgroup, then include that term in a static headline ad, so you can be certain that you are always showing the best performing version of that ad. If DKI inserts a term that reduces the overall performance, then you're not doing yourself any favors. ")

Tom

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Geoff D
February 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

No. Keywords are the targeting method of the adgroup, and the ads are the content of that adgroup. You have to put those terms in their own adgroup(s) with static headlines/ads. Dynamic Keyword Insertion is an advanced technique. You should only use it if you have a highly controlled structure, designed to be used specifically with DKI ads. If you're not very careful, you could end up having ad approval issues, and if you are using nothing but (disapproved) DKI ads, then you will stop accruing impressions for the entire account.

By and large, you will get better overall performance and results using highly optimized static text ads than you will gambling on DKI ads. If you know that having a KW term in the ad content for an adgroup improves the overall performance of that adgroup, then include that term in a static headline ad, so you can be certain that you are always showing the best performing version of that ad. If DKI inserts a term that reduces the overall performance, then you're not doing yourself any favors. ")

Tom