AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Will a WAP Mobile Ad Show on Full Browser Devices like iPhones?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I took over adwords for my company about a month ago.  I monitored how well it was already running for a few weeks, and last week I started making changes (which seem to be going well so far).  I noticed that the person I took over for did not use WAP Mobile Ads at all.  It's very important to us that we receive new leads and calls from Google.  I already knew that by checking "mobile" on a text ad, it will show on a mobile device, but I was unaware that it only applies to devices with full browsers.

I would like to create WAP Mobile Ads, but before I do, I want to find out exactly HOW a WAP mobile ad is seen.  Ideally, I want text ads to show for all capable devices and WAP ads to only show on devices with limited browsers.

My question is: Will WAP Mobile Ads ONLY show on the devices that require them?  Or will they also show for iPhones (even if a mobile text ad is already enabled)?  I've had a hard time finding an answer to this on the internet anywhere.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelcee P
September 2015

Re: Will a WAP Mobile Ad Show on Full Browser Devices like iPhones?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kalcee,
WAP ads will only show on feature phones. Those without full browsers. They only show on the wap version of Google here: http://wap.google.com/xhtml

You will not see that version unless you're on a feature phone. You'll be redirected to the search that suits the device you are on.

We ran a test a few months and we didn't get a single WAP ad impression. Probably due to the fact that people don't use WAP any more. It's a painful experience. A search on wap.google.com will trigger your ads (all else being in order)

As Moshe said, it would be good to understand why you are looking to add these ads. Does your analytics show a high (or even low) percentage of feature phone traffic?

If you don't have a WAP version of your site, there's very little reason to waste you time on these. Again, as Moshe mentioned, I can imagine these being retired very soon.

The effort required to create, test and maintain these ads may be far more than what value it brings. I'd consider this carefully.

So remember, only phones with WAP browsers will see your ads. If there's anyone still using them. Even in developing countries, WAP is pretty much dead.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
WAP is phasing out quickly; any specific reason you are targeting these devices?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelcee P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kalcee,
WAP ads will only show on feature phones. Those without full browsers. They only show on the wap version of Google here: http://wap.google.com/xhtml

You will not see that version unless you're on a feature phone. You'll be redirected to the search that suits the device you are on.

We ran a test a few months and we didn't get a single WAP ad impression. Probably due to the fact that people don't use WAP any more. It's a painful experience. A search on wap.google.com will trigger your ads (all else being in order)

As Moshe said, it would be good to understand why you are looking to add these ads. Does your analytics show a high (or even low) percentage of feature phone traffic?

If you don't have a WAP version of your site, there's very little reason to waste you time on these. Again, as Moshe mentioned, I can imagine these being retired very soon.

The effort required to create, test and maintain these ads may be far more than what value it brings. I'd consider this carefully.

So remember, only phones with WAP browsers will see your ads. If there's anyone still using them. Even in developing countries, WAP is pretty much dead.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The industry we are targetting has a lot of older people with no interest (or time) in the "latest" technology. I would say that about 75% of the customers I come in contact do not have full browsers on their phones.

We are most focused on getting call conversions, and being in the transportation industry, our potential customers would be searching for our services while they are on the road.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

There was a good reply (in this thread) posted by @Dave_Davis, which the system apparently filtered.

@KathleenG @CocoP  - can you release Dave's post. Please?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor