1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Will Phone # on Adwords Effect Ranking On Google+ Local

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been told that to get ranked in the top 7 for Google+ Local (Maps), that it's very important that Google only finds one phone # for your place of business...if the search engines find more than 1 phone number it confuses the search engines and negatively influences ranking.

If this is true, if a business wants to track phone numbers by using a telephone tracking system which utilizes a unique phone number ( a phone # different from the business's original phone #), will this effect the ability of the business to rank on Google+ Local?

If a business wants to rank in the top 7 for Google+ Local, should they avoid using a different phone # on their Google Adwords advertising?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jhoecannon
September 2015

Re: Will Phone # on Adwords Effect Ranking On Google+ Local

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi jhoecannon,

The phone number used in your AdWords campaign should not affect your maps listing. It is for tracking purposes only.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi again jhoecannon, I'd suggest the first place to start is by giving us a source for where you heard this.  There's an amazing amount of information out there on the web, almost all of which is wrong Smiley Happy

I seriously doubt that Google would become confused by a business with two phone numbers.  In fact, if I were part of the programming team I might consider having more than one phone number an indicator of a larger, more successful business.  However, I don't know, so I can't comment.

In truth this is really a Maps, Places or perhaps Webmaster query rather than AdWords but I at least would be interested in your source while you go off there and ask...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Cobnut,

Yes...hello, again! And, thanks for answering my last question.

As suggested, I will submit this question to Google Maps forum to see if they have any input to this question.

To answer your question...I got this information on a course that I took on how to get your business to rank on Google's first page for Google Maps. That course is taught by David Sprague...CEO of World Strategic out of Tampa, Florida. And, to be honest, he doesn't say that it "confuses" the search engines...but, he does say that it is important that only 1 telephone number is used.

I'm not saying that he might be wrong...but, it does make some sense...after-all, only 7 business websites make it to Google's first page for a given search term.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jhoecannon
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi jhoecannon,

The phone number used in your AdWords campaign should not affect your maps listing. It is for tracking purposes only.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords