AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Will I be charged for competitors constantly clicking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If someone clicks on my PPC ad but leaves the page within three seconds do I get charged for the click?  Is there a link out there where I can see the answer.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Click Charges

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When someone clicks on my PPC add but leaves within 3 seconds do I still get charged for the click?

Thanks

Re: Will I be charged for competitors constantly clicking?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Paul P,

Google have a lot of measure in place to make sure they can identify and protect you against invalid clicks. You don't get charged for these clicks as they are filtered before charges go onto your account.

You can customise your columns at campaign level to show invalid click activity.

There are valid reasons why someone may only be on your site for 3 seconds, maybe the content wasn't what they expected, maybe they got the information they needed straight away etc so you would be charged for these clicks.

If someone repeatedly is clicking your ads Google will likely pick this up on IP address, cookies etc but you can read up more about invalid clicks here

Let me know if you have any other questions Paul, happy to help

Re: Will I be charged for competitors constantly clicking?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Paul P,

In addition to what Adam has posted here, if you are using the Analytics data, the average includes 0 seconds for all your bounces. If a single visitor records 3 seconds on your page, that means they clicked on an internal link on your landing page. That's not a bounce, that's a person who went further on your site than the first page and indicates the person had an interest in your offer.

Time on page for true bounces, when the user does not click on any internal links on your page, can not be calculated. So you really don't know how long bounce visitors are staying on your page. You could extrapolate the average time on a page by non-bounce visitors. Take your total number of visitors (including bounces) multiply by the average time on page. Then divide by the number of non-bounces (total visitors - bounces). That will give you a better idea of how long non-bounces stay on your page.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords