AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Will Adwords phase out Exact Match type keywords in the near future?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I apologize if the answer to this question is obvious, but I am quite new to Adwords and wanted to know for sure.

I heard from an associate of mine ( one who is far more fluent with the Google Adwords program than I am, I might add) that Google intends to eventually phase out the exact match search option, and that only phrase and broad will remain functional.

I did a search online but could not find any articles that spoke directly to this claim. I was hoping to verify this claim here, if at all possible.

I thank you in advance for taking my question under consideration. I very much appreciate the generous use of your time.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel Michael H
September 2015

Re: Will Adwords phase out Exact Match type keywords in the near futur

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

I'd say AdWords isn't phasing out exact match, but making changes to the way Exact and Phrase match keywords work. Including close variants ( shown in screenshot) for Exact & Phrase match keywords has been a default option for quite a while. However, we can (currently) opt out of close variants to have more control over keyword matching.

By this change, advertisers will no longer be able to opt out of close variants for Exact & Phrase match keywords. Based on Google's analysis, close keyword variations receive 7% more exact and phrase match clicks (on an average) with comparable click-through & conversion rates which is the reason for this change.

Hope that helps!

- Sumanth

close variants.png

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel Michael H
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

I'd say AdWords isn't phasing out exact match, but making changes to the way Exact and Phrase match keywords work. Including close variants ( shown in screenshot) for Exact & Phrase match keywords has been a default option for quite a while. However, we can (currently) opt out of close variants to have more control over keyword matching.

By this change, advertisers will no longer be able to opt out of close variants for Exact & Phrase match keywords. Based on Google's analysis, close keyword variations receive 7% more exact and phrase match clicks (on an average) with comparable click-through & conversion rates which is the reason for this change.

Hope that helps!

- Sumanth

close variants.png

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much for all of your assistance, Mr. Sumanth Sridhar! 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Glad I could help Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar