AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Will AdWords help in this situation?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

If a business has the first position in the local results, along with numerous 5 star ratings that far exceed the competitions, then would it still be beneficial to use AdWords?

Thanks for reading this, and any advice you may have.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony L
March 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

Yes it will. 

Why do I say this? 

When you search for your business and see it in the first position organically, it means for you and for your search term it is holding the high spot. However, organic searches are dynamic and different for everyone. This means that even though you are seeing it in first place, another potential customer across town may not.

In other words, your ad can be triggered at times when organic drops the ball. Together you have a strong point for your brand and related search terms. 

Another angle to this thought process is the number of positions available. If a Google search page offers ten organic spots, 3 tops position ads, 3 lower position ads and one knowledge panel (large info box on right side of searches)... the golden plan would be to consume as many of those spots as possible. Not only for more brand visibility but to also prevent a competing brand from holding any of them with you. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

James 

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

From the perspective that every SERP position the business takes up is another opportunity a user ends up on the business's website, yes, it's beneficial.  You want to dominate the SERPs and this is one way to do it. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony L
March 2017

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

Yes it will. 

Why do I say this? 

When you search for your business and see it in the first position organically, it means for you and for your search term it is holding the high spot. However, organic searches are dynamic and different for everyone. This means that even though you are seeing it in first place, another potential customer across town may not.

In other words, your ad can be triggered at times when organic drops the ball. Together you have a strong point for your brand and related search terms. 

Another angle to this thought process is the number of positions available. If a Google search page offers ten organic spots, 3 tops position ads, 3 lower position ads and one knowledge panel (large info box on right side of searches)... the golden plan would be to consume as many of those spots as possible. Not only for more brand visibility but to also prevent a competing brand from holding any of them with you. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

James 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Two great answers! Smiley Happy

I especially agree with @James_Clemens that what you see as far as the organic listings have so many variables you don't have nearly the amount of control and consistency that you do through advertising. 

Regardless of how you rank organically, or how people answer surveys about "ads" vs. organic listings, the numbers don't lie. As long as you have analytics tracking code installed, you know where the traffic, engagement, and (online) sales come from. If the advertising generates the most volume at a profitable ROAS, then you are just throwing money away by not advertising.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you all for the valuable replies, and given such, I'm going to try AdWords.

What is the most effective means to determine if the calls derived from the AdWords link, or the organic link?

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 6
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Tony L

To determine whether calls come from organic or paid search results you may use a Google Forwarding number. For measuring calls, Google provides you with a unique number which you will add to your ads as a phone extension & call only ads.

You may read more about call forwarding here 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2382961?hl=en 

Regards,
Eva

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I see the main advantage in including your own promotional message in the ad-copy. You have full control over the  ad-text / ad-copy  and can add additional copy / text  which  is not shown in the organic search results. (e.g. seasonal promotion: "call now for early summer savings")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Eva: I'm reluctant to use the call forwarding for 2 reasons.

1) Google can't guarantee a local area code for the forwarding number. The business is a local only repair shop in a smaller city of 90,000. In this specific regard, I know from experience that potential customers will suspect something is awry and wont call if the area code isn't local.

2) The business is in the first position on any platform right across town, regardless of the search terms used for this type of repair business. The business is individually ownerd and operated by the owner with a goal of a 20-30% customer increase. With the type of business, many of the customers have the phone number stored on their phone, but I can't be certain that Adwords will be used on a continuous basis. As such, if Adwords isn't being used at the time, then the customer will receive a message that the number is no longer in service.

Moshe: I'll use something similar to, "Mention the spring promo for an additional 20% off our already fair prices". That will tell me how much business comes from the ad.