AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why would someone direct traffic to their Google Local Business Listing?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All, 

I am versed in Adwords.  I am doing some reasearch on PPC companies - and I have stumbled across local business owners that are running ppc campaigns to their Google Local Business Listings.  Why on earth would anyone do that?  

These businesses have websites setup, but are still directing this paid traffic to their Google Local Business listing.  

Even in the dispaly URL is says "maps.google.com/company"  - Then the link forwards to the Business Listing.  

I can not think of a single GOOD reason for doing this....any thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Why would someone direct traffic to their Google Local Business Listing?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

As already statd above sending users to Google Maps/Places profile is an option of AdWords Express (as is sending to website and Google+ pages). User who have a website may wish to send people to the Maps/Places profile as AdWords Express is designed as a local advertising option and a percentage of users may be looking for the physical location of the business. This feature also works very well using mobile devices as it allows use of 'Get Directions' or 'Navigate'. 

Each advertiser will setup the Maps/Places profile so that it has location and contact information but can also include special offers, photo's, videos, and a link to the website. This profile also allows for customer reviews and photo posting. 

It is a very powerful function and despite some belief it is not about driving traffic to Google Maps or Places but about advertisers directing users to a quick snapshot of the local business. 

It is and always will be a matter of personal choice on how AdWords Express is used for directing users but it is a powerful service that has proven results. 

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

To get the credit for the display URL. It's very smart. I've been tempted to send traffic to Facebook Landing pages, as Facebook.com is a recognizable brand, could increase CTR's and quality scores.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What?  To get "credit" for the display url?  That makes no sense.  They are not only displaying the maps.google.com - they are also directing the PAID traffic to the maps.google.com GOOGLE PLACES listing.  

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

My bad...

To clarify there's 2 benefits:

1) Display URL - Google is a well known brand. This can raise the CTR's, which will in turn decrease the CPC, getting you more clicks for less

2) Destination URL - Google uses the destination URL for QS purposes, so the destination URL may benefit not only from the increased branded CTR, but also from the root destination URL QS. (That's theory though Smiley Happy ).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Muskrat37,

David might be right about Google being a known brand and could lead to a better CTR, but the theory on the destination URL is off. Google does not use the destination URL in calculating the QS, though it may use the content of the page itself to set an initial QS.

My answer is, "I have no idea!" There is a distinctive disadvantage to advertising pages on google.com or facebook.com--only one ad per top-level domain will show on any single SERP. If your competitor has claimed that one spot, your ad will never be shown.

Best of Luck

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your attempts David...I have to respectfully disagree on both points.  Best way to raise CTR is to run different ads, and comparisons and see which ones perfom the best.  Minor changes to the text can sometimes make a huge difference.  

As for QS - the content on the landing page is what matters - not the URL....I have seen where this is even questionable though, as I have created an Ad campaign with my main keyword, then an Ad group with my main keyword, and placed only my main keyword in the Ad group...then I named the page my main keyword, did the title, heading, meta, alt and image tags with my main keyword, and of course made sure that my content was all about my main keyword.  My reward for this effort?  a 3/10 QS!  No Google rep can explain this.  The page was about hail damage for an auto body shop...

Anyways...I don't think there is a good reason to do this.  I did contact the customer - and he made the change himself, because he wanted people to see his "reviews" on his Google Places profile.  There were 3 reviews in the profile, so I think the answer as to why someone would do this is - THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING.   Smiley Happy  

The weird thing is, I saw two companies today that were doing it - so it made me wonder if there was a logical reason, or an advantage to doing this.  

I'm curious if anyone in the Adwords community can come up with a logical reason why someone would do this.  I like "Stupidity" as the best answer, but I could be swayed with a good arguement.  

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll have to test this for a local client one of these days, and see whether call volume, CPC and CTR are affected.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Please post results.  I am very curious to see them.  

[ Edited ]
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

I  think you all might be wrong.

Seems like a AdWords Express ad directing people to Google Places listing because they did not want to use their webste or did not have one.

The same  company should have a blue tear drop marker on the map  too.

http://www.google.com/adwords/express/

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I suspected it might have something to do with Adwords Express.  However, the one site I found that showed this, did have a website, and the website owner said he did it on purpose.  Of course - maybe he just checked the box, or didn't realize what he was doing.  

Does anyone else see a benefit to doing this (sending to the Google Places profile)?  I can't think of one logical reason why, if you have a website, you would want to do this.  It creates an extra click to get customers to your website, and extra steps to the goal are usually not a good thing.  If they don't have a website at all - it is my opinion that they should not be paying for Adwords.  Shame on Google for even allowing it.