AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why there is no option to add keywords to campaign level?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to add list of keywords to campaign level not for adgroups..for example we have a campaigns like "Andhra Pradesh" and adgroups are NGO in AP and Charity in AP.. But there are some common keywords to appear my ads.. for that reason I could not able to add keywords for campaign level.. Can it possible to add keywords to campaign level.. Same it as like how we are adding negative keywords to campaign level and adgroups level..

Note: When I am choosing for my option from "elect Discussion Forum" it is not showing exact option where I have to place my query.. for example like keyword related..

Thanks,

Prasad

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Why there is no option to add keywords to campaign level?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Prasad,

Welcome to the community.

You need to add your keywords to an adgroup. Negatives can cover campaigns but not the terms you want to trigger your ads.

If you have general terms for the campaign, think about adding a general AdGroup as well so you can house those keywords within it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AkshayaPatra
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Prasad and welcome,

If I understood correctly here, you want to have similar keywords inside your different ad groups which are in one single campaign. Let me know if that isn't the case here.

Adding duplicate keywords in your campaign will help you no where. Please note that only keyword from your account is allowed to trigger an ad. If you add duplicate keywords, you won't be able to understand what works well and what not.

For negative keywords scenario is different because advertisers might have to add unwanted terms at ad group or campaign level in order to control irrelevant traffic.

However, in order to perform bulk changes, you might consider using Adwords Editor.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375449

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will there ever be campaign level keywords? It would be nice to have a master group of keywords on the campaign level, and then more specific keywords at the adgroup level. I work for a law firm with multiple practice areas, but the same general keywords (lawyer, attorney, law firm) still apply in each adgroup.

For example, it would be great to have the always relevant keywords at the campaign level like: Lawyer, Attorney, Law Firm, or Law Office. That way, those generally always applicable keywords wouldn't have to be duplicated over and over in each of my adgroups in a phrase or exact keyword.

If the campaign level keywords could be implemented, then it would be nice if those campaign level keywords would work together with the adgroup level keywords like the "AND" command works in a search. When one of the campaign level keywords is used AND one of the adgroup level keywords is used, then it would trigger the ad for that adgroup in that campaign. That way I could just focus on having practice area specific keywords in each adgroup.  Each adgroup could then just have the specific keywords for one of our practice areas (wrongful death, medical malpractice, vehicle wrecks, workplace injury, etc.) and their variations. 

It would be less repetitive.  I would no longer need to repeat the same master keywords in each adgroup. For example, having to include "wrongful death attorney", "wrongful death lawyer", "wrongful death law firm"... and likewise for the next practice area adgroup.

To my knowledge, close variations do not cover different words with the same meaning like attorney and lawyer. I know this is very specific to my sector, but I imagine similar situations happen in a lot of other sectors. Anyway, it would be nice to have the option of having campaign level keywords. Has there been any movement towards this type of structure?

Thank you for your time.