AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why should I upgrade to enhanced campaigns?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys,

Why should I upgrade to Enhanced campaign when I don't advertise on mobile given the nature of the products we sell?

Google contacted me to tell me that my account needs to be upgraded so now I don't know what to do.

Thanks

Oscar

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Why should I upgrade to enhanced campaigns?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oscar,

Adwords is changing the interface and by late June or July all accounts will be operated in enhanced interface only. Thus Google is requesting everyone to upgrade their account to enhanced campaign. 

Your campaign would not get effected, everything will be same, just you will see more customization options while operating adwords interface. You can keep you mobile device targeting at -100% so that your ad appears only on PC, Laptops and computers. 

Find below more information on features of enhanced campaign.

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2013/02/introducing-enhanced-campaigns.html

I will say feel free to upgrade, its not gonna eefect your campaign at all.

Regards

Foyzul

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Oscar and welcome,

In addition to what has been said above, I would encourage you to download the resources available in this reference:

http://www.google.com/adwords/enhancedcampaigns/resources/

The guide would help you understand what new settings are available because there's lot more flexibility which you can get when you upgrade to ECs. Like bidding for particular location with bid multipliers, recording phone calls as conversions etc....

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

@tomhalejr, to be honest, I think this is reckless advice.  You cannot possibly hope to address all the multitude of variations there are in the advertisers out there.  Yes, for some advertisers, the change to Enhanced Campaigns has not been a good one, no one can honestly deny that.  But that doesn't mean it will be a bad move for all mobile advertisers.    Enhanced Campaigns do bring a number of significant changes to the options available for mobile campaigners like bid adjustments for locations and mobile-specific Ads and extensions and these improvements need time to be assessed.

Each individual advertiser is different and each needs to be accessing what Enhanced Campaigns mean to them now.  They need to be running their own experiments, reading the guides and asking questions about Enhanced Campaigns now so that they are prepared for what happens when the automatic conversions occur.  I know that I personally would recommend that everyone upgrades as soon as logical or possible, following extensive testing and research.  I don't want to wake up one morning and find my Campaigns have totally changed and that I'm unprepared, when I've known the changes were coming for months.  Is that seriously your advice?

In the very worst case scenario - it may be that a company decides to restructure or refocus knowing what they now know about how their adverstising is going to change.  That decision cannot be made overnight and shouldn't be made lightly so it's definitely not something that should be left until the last minute.

Advising companies that they should just bury their heads in the sand will not help anyone.  You should be encouraging others to experiment and explore, to prepare for the change and find out what it means to them.  That's certainly my advice.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oscar,

Adwords is changing the interface and by late June or July all accounts will be operated in enhanced interface only. Thus Google is requesting everyone to upgrade their account to enhanced campaign. 

Your campaign would not get effected, everything will be same, just you will see more customization options while operating adwords interface. You can keep you mobile device targeting at -100% so that your ad appears only on PC, Laptops and computers. 

Find below more information on features of enhanced campaign.

http://adwords.blogspot.in/2013/02/introducing-enhanced-campaigns.html

I will say feel free to upgrade, its not gonna eefect your campaign at all.

Regards

Foyzul

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Foyzul,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciated it.

When I adjust my bids I will keep mobiles at -100% and what about the rest? Shall I leave them at 0% in order to let them work as they do now?

Many thanks

Oscar

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Oscar,

Bid adjustment option is available for mobile devices only. You just change it to -100%. Rest everything will remain same.

Good Luck !!

Foyzul

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello Oscar and welcome,

In addition to what has been said above, I would encourage you to download the resources available in this reference:

http://www.google.com/adwords/enhancedcampaigns/resources/

The guide would help you understand what new settings are available because there's lot more flexibility which you can get when you upgrade to ECs. Like bidding for particular location with bid multipliers, recording phone calls as conversions etc....

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just out of interest - the way yo get ads to appear only on moblies is to reduce the bid to 25% across the board and then adjust the bid +300% on mobiles - this will practically eliminate impressions on PC's

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Pankaj,

Thanks for your reply.

I will have a look into it before upgrading.

I have also read that this enhanced campaign features haven't been tested much and unless you advertise on mobiles, it's better to upgrade when you have to.

Thanks

Oscar

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

Actually, if your primary return or advertising strategy is mobile device focused then you DO NOT want to "upgrade" (ie, downgrade) until you absolutely have to. Having an experimental campaign to try and figure enhanced campaigns out in the meantime is a good idea, but why lose your most or only effective means of advertising until it is taken away from you?

On the other hand, if you do not advertise on mobile devices, then there's not a whole lot to lose by downgrading now and setting your mobile bids to -100%. Assuming of course PC and tablet performance is relatively similar for your campaign(s) / account.

Steve's approach may work for him in his a specific account, but such an approach is NOT gauranteed to eliminate PC impressions or clicks. Maybe if you create single KW exact match adgroups for each and every KW, then try to finesses the bids for each adgroup. Hmmm....That might be worth exploring.... Of course, if the mobile competition is high enough then in order to get your mobile ad to show on the first page you would have to raise your PC (default) bids high enough to compete for mobile, which may also mean accruing unwanted PC clicks/impressions.

Anywho... In short, if your AdWords advertising is mobile focused, then DO NOT downgrade to enhanced campaigns until it is forced on you!

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Oscar,

If you manage accounts with phone-oriented conversions, there is more value in the call extensions too. /doug
Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Again, assuming that you are not focused on mobile only, call only campaigns.

Tom