AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why should I create two ad groups for one ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I was checking out "Opportunities" today, it suggest me to create another version of my ad in order to test which ad version runs more effectively.

So I create another version of my current ad, slightly changes it's keyword, headlines and descriptions. I'm wondering if it is really necessary to do so and if Google will chose the most effective ad automatically without showing duplicate ad?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You should always test a few ad variations within the same ad group.

Separate ad groups are for different keyword groups (themes).  The ad copy should change slightly to be more relevant to the searcher/user.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
July 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

You should always test a few ad variations within the same ad group.

Separate ad groups are for different keyword groups (themes).  The ad copy should change slightly to be more relevant to the searcher/user.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I usually run between 5-6 ads against each other, depending on the traffic. You may not need that much for a smaller budget. I like testing the best ad as Shanee suggested and really focus my keywords. I try to keep keywords at about 11-15. Any more than that and I create a new ad group. Basically, more ads, fewer keywords is how I structure my Ad Groups.