AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why is the domain name inserted into the ad title?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Something I noticed I hadn't before so not sure if this is relatively very new or not.

In the top ad positions on the left, I'm seeing Google frequently appending the advertiser's domain onto the title instead of appending Line 1 of the text ad.  This is concerning for a couple reasons:

(a) The second line of the ad in those positions is the display URL which also contains the advertisers domain name and therefore if the domain name is already in the title, makes the display URL look very redundant in most cases (and therefore unecessary).

(b) The visibility of line 1 of the ad becomes far more obscure, relegated to small text in line 3 of the ad instead of large text in the title.

Why is this happening and can the advertiser control it and prevent it from happening?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is the domain name inserted into the ad title?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jeff C;

Check this discussion on the topic;

my URL is showing in the headline like Headline

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jeff,

As stated in Moshe quoted article, advertisers have no control over this. The Top 3 center positions have different layout from the ones on the right, and Google constantly make tests about it.

It's hard for some advertisers, since you need to check whether your ads are showing on top3 positions as average, and write it accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks much for throwing me a "bone."  The thread you referenced actually references the truly most useful info which is here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/Extended-Ad-Headlines-The-Fluctuation-of-Punct...

Is this info still not officially documented anywhere by Google?  That would be sort of nuts.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Celebird,

The link to the page you provided still, for some reason (which I can't think of other than poor documentation), doesn't discuss specifics like the previous link posted.  It makes an ambiguous statement:

" if we've determined that your first description line is clearly a complete phrase or sentence, we might add part of your description to your headline, creating a longer, more noticeable headline."

Okay.... so HOW do you "determine" ?  But based on experimentation by advertisers, we know.  So why not just spell it out?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Jeff C;

The information in the article linked is a summary of official publications posted by Google. The information is accurate and  is valid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’