Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why is adwords so confusing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've spent four hours in five separate conversations with Google adwords reps trying to get a simple campaign to work. There has been one problem after another. I find the interface hopelessly confusing. I got so frustrated during my fifth conversation that I had to tell the rep I could no longer continue.

I have designed a website to sell rugs online on behalf of a client. It would seem beyond simple to create an adwords campaign for it. It seemed to work for the first few weeks but suddenly the diagnostic tool said the ad wasn't being displayed. Apparently my keywords had become ineffective because the bid was too low and they were too broadly matched.

I've being trying for weeks to get pictures of one of the rugs to join other pictures that are displayed with the keyword Rugs Online. Despite numerous conversations and adjustments, the ad has never appeared.

I'll work on this next week when I'm in a better mood but I've got to say I'm extremely disappointed with this process. I've never seen an interface for anything that is so overly-complicated. I just want to sell a couple of rugs, not run a marketing program for some giant corporation.

I wish Google would use the Grandmother Test before launching a product. If a Google nerd's grandmother can't create an ad, Google needs to do something with its interface.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is adwords so confusing

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Stu D,

Sorry that you are having trouble understanding the platform

When you say trying to get an adword campaign to work, what exactly were the issues you where having problems with.

Do you mean:
targeting
Billing
Keyword Match types
Big Strategies
Negative keywords
Budgets
Ad copy
Landing pages- Destination URL vs Display URL
Search Network vs Display Network vs Shopping vs Video
Extensions
Conversions?

There are 1000's of resources available to learn from, Videos, Books, PDF's, this forum, Articles, Adwords Help center documentation and yes even the Call center all at your finger tips for you to learn from. You didn't become a developer and understand all the code, and glossary of terms in one setting, you put in your time to learn your skill set.

Adwords is a fine tuned Racing car with many features, It can run on 3 cylinders, or it can win the NASCAR race, but it depends upon those driving and pit crew, and car engineers that understand and have perfected their skill sets.

We are here to help if you have specific questions, but every question you ever had if just a Google search away for the answer.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Stu D,

I agree with your words but it happened with you because you are not familiar with Adwords. Google Adwords has many hundred features and that features can be accessible from anywhere in settings.

If you want to utilize Google adwords effectively, you should consult with experienced professional and work with them closely. I am sure after 1-2 weeks you will be able to manage campaigns yourself and you will like features.

If you don't have time to manage adwords campaigns, you can try Adwords express.

Thanks

Virendra Kumar

Adwords Expert.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Stu D,

So sorry for the trouble. Agreed with Virendra Kumar, Google Adwords has so many features, if you want to optimize it you can consult with a professional. If not possible you can go through Google Adwords training guide. Here is the link - https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en#topic=3119071

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Kaushik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We could both drive race cars. We'd know where the clutch pedal is and which way to turn the steering wheel. But if Google Adwords was a racing car, it would have dozens of knobs and levers doing all sorts of inscrutable tasks with so many instruments and dials it would take an astronaut to figure the out. At some point the steering wheel would start working in reverse and the brake pedal would swap positions with the clutch. All this would be explained and justified in a highly complex manual which only geeks or very dedicated drivers would read.

I don't want to drive a race car. I want to drive a delivery truck or a sedan with automatic transmission. If you can't make your products easy to use and intuitive you are losing business.

In advertising terms, I want the process to be as simple as a newspaper classified ad. Why is that so hard?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Well... Another alternative that might suit you, and you could consider, is Adwords Express. This is a simplified version of Adwords aimed to small, local businesses. Of course, the simpler the system, the lesser (the number of) targeting methods available.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Stu,

There are two things - if we know something it's easier for us, and if we don't it's difficult. We all started from the same point you are starting, the only difference is we enjoyed and still enjoy doing every bit of it, so we never felt or feel disheartened. You do not seem to enjoy the process to the same extent.

It's quite natural, nothing strange. We all cannot be masters of everything, and we shouldn't be either. You are best with something else, may be at handling the core process of your business.

My personal advise would be - do what you can do the best and get an expert for doing something that you can't seem to handle much efficiently. This is where you can hire services of Google Certified Partners or of Individual Experts to take care of your campaigns. 

However, you can still gear up to learn AdWords if you have enough time and you can put in enough efforts into it. But please bear in mind, it has a steep learning curve.

Having said that, AdWords Express (As @MosheTLV  advised) can be a better alternative if you do not want to spend much time learning and understanding AdWords' advanced features. 

Also, Google's help center articles, friendly phone support, and thousands of us all here are available for you in this Community. Feel free to ask anything and everything confusing about AdWords that you come across. We will be pleased to assist Smiley Happy

Happy advertising! 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, while Adwordzs in an advanced program, Express is much easier. But Express has limited features. Choose which serves tge purpose.  Then, learning can be an arduous thing, but it worthes it.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Stu, I feel your pain, I really do.

In fairness to Google, they have experimented over the years with ways of making a "simple" version of AdWords but the problem with trying to make something like this is that it is ultimately unsatisfying to a large proportion of its target audience.  Take AdWords Express, already mentioned.  Express is a great, extremely simple way to run Ads and many customers love it, but here in this Community we see a huge number of posts from Express users who want to do something that isn't available in that version.  Most say the same thing: "Can't you just add this ability?" or "Why can't I do this?".  If Google were to respond to these requests Express would quickly become like the main interface and they'd be back at square one.  Do you use Photoshop?  Do you remember Photoshop Elements?  Adobe has a similar problem with Photoshop; there's a vast array of features now so how do you pick which ones to include in a "simple" version and which ones to leave out?

Running Ads is quite a complex operation so there's a limit to how simple the interface can be.  The situation is made more complex because each advertiser is essentially unique.  If you designed a "grandmother" friendly interface for one customer, it could be completely useless for another.  

I can't offer any simple solution, but your post here is a good step towards resolving your issues.  If you give us a good description of the problems you're having, we'll do our best to step you through the solutions and, hopefully, restore some faith in the system.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
really awesome solution sir, specially these lines really inspired novice ... "Adwords is a fine tuned Racing car with many features, It can run on 3 cylinders, or it can win the NASCAR race, but it depends upon those driving and pit crew, and car engineers that understand and have perfected their skill sets."

Thanks