5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why is Search query metrics different to keyword metrics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a AdWords beginner and I have run a test campaign to gather data on a keyword bucket list. When viewing the acquisition data, the clicks received for search queries is different to the clicks received for keywords and I don't understand why. Analytics report that 10 keywords' received a total of 37 clicks in the period. But in this time the Ad was eligible for 30 search queries with a total of 27 clicks. Can someone explain how and why these figures differ.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Why is Search query metrics different to keyword metrics

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

First of all you need to understand What's the difference between a search query and a keyword? search queries are exact set of words a internet user performed searching on Google.com or  Search Network sites. A keyword is the word or set of words AdWords advertisers create for a given ad group to target your ads to customers.

Search queries are actual data that is Adwords system gather what user has performed while your keywords is about your ad may be eligible to show on search results page.

Search terms are match type of Keywords and Keywords close variation, this includes misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, or accents.

Adwords search term report, Number of search queries is always greater then Keywords reports. Good to understand visit the link https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708?hl=en

Re: Why is Search query metrics different to keyword metrics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dudley,

Welcome to the Adwords Community.

In simple words, search queries are set of keywords which your users are used to search your ads and clicked on your ads. These search queried is initiated by keywords, you used in your campaign. Search queries are very important to enhance your campaign. You should review your search queries and compare with keywords. If search queries are not related with your business, you should edit keyword match type and use negative keywords.

Hope it will help you.

Regards,
Virendra