AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why is Google inserting www. into my display URL?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all doing well. I have a "basic" question to ask, and I've read earlier posts of 2013 about this, but I'd like to know if anything has changed since, as I cannot find information in Google Help about it. My manager, a couple of days ago, mentioned this and it got me curious again.

So... What I'd like to find out is why Google adds the 'www' in your Display URL, even though that on AdWords Editor I did not put it, so I could include more keywords in?

Every other ad from competitors and others has the 'www' there, so it seems all Display URLs look consistent. I know they're not clickable, but I'd like to know why Google decided to do this, if websites now don't use 'www'.

Much appreciated folks!

Daniel

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Re: Why is Google inserting www. into my display URL?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Daniel V I'm not sure entirely why Google decided to do this, but it was almost certainly following a experiment of some kind to test user reactions.

The good news is that although the 'www' is shown when Ads are displayed, these characters do not count towards your 35 character limit for the Display URL, so if you use example.com as your Display URL, you still have 22 characters left to play with, even though the displayed URL will start with www.example.com.  (You can check this when editing an Ad and checking the remaining character count).

As a matter of interest, if your website doesn't use www, but a different sub-domain, e.g. socks.example.com, AdWords won't put "www" in front, the displayed URL will remain as socks.example.com.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Daniel V I'm not sure entirely why Google decided to do this, but it was almost certainly following a experiment of some kind to test user reactions.

The good news is that although the 'www' is shown when Ads are displayed, these characters do not count towards your 35 character limit for the Display URL, so if you use example.com as your Display URL, you still have 22 characters left to play with, even though the displayed URL will start with www.example.com.  (You can check this when editing an Ad and checking the remaining character count).

As a matter of interest, if your website doesn't use www, but a different sub-domain, e.g. socks.example.com, AdWords won't put "www" in front, the displayed URL will remain as socks.example.com.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for your answer.

Regards,

Daniel