AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Why is Adwords forcing me to convert campaigns to "enhanced'?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What the heck is behind Adwords forcing everyone to convert to "enhanced" mode?  I tried the auto conversion process, and all of my ads stopped running.  I even called Adwords support, and they couldn't get it working either, although a couple of days later the campaigns inexplicably started working again.

As far as I can tell its a ploy to get me to advertise on mobile, which in my market is a waste of money.  The only way to turn off mobile ads is a ridiculous cludge of entering a mobile pay factor of 0% on an obscure screen.  If Google wanted us to be able to choose target devices, why the heck isn't there a list of target devices we can choose from?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why is Adwords forcing me to convert campaigns to "enhanced'?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Michael,

A lot of people are asking the same question.

I don't target devices but I do understand it is tricky to run a desktop/tablet only campaign, but it's even harder or close to impossible to target only mobile.

Other features of enhanced campaigns I find very useful and I'm about to convert all my campaigns. I find the most useful part is the ability to define sitelinks by AdGroup. I'm still in the learning process on this.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Why is Adwords forcing me to convert campaigns to "enhanced'?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

We can't take the King Canute approach - the tide is coming in....

Whilst you can choose to wait  - it makes more sense to embrace the change (as is usually the case in all walks of life) before it is no longer a choice and you have to adapt in a hurry...